Sellers using excessive postage cost to avoid fees

Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate thread.

I recently came across a seller while searching for an item I was looking to purchase.
The item was listed for $3, with postage cost of $80 within Australia standard postage, not an overly large item either.

I messaged the seller asking if it was an error, and he pretty much flat out said his postage cost was to avoid paying the FVF.
He'd incorporated the cost of the item into the postage. Which mind you was still higher than the actual value of the item.

I reported the seller, and eBay are going to have his account checked by the Trust and Safety team and most likely removed.

My issue here was the flat out cockiness that this seller conveyed. Made the remark that he'd been doing it for years. And he got aggressive at me for even questioning the postage costs.

I do think eBay fees are a little higher than I'd like to pay, but nevertheless I pay them. I've never overcharged on postage. One time I overestimated the postage cost of something, and I refunded the buyer the excess and then a little more for the inconvenience.

I'm curious what other seller's and buyers views are of these kinds of practices. 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Sellers using excessive postage cost to avoid fees

Sorry for jumping in on your post but for the life of me, I cannot find where I can post a new topic! grrr

My question is, how do I report an item for excessive postage?  I've found the report button on the item page but I seem to have gone through all of the options and still can't find it, unless I'm missing something?  TIA

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

to nara on top of page  click  new message

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

You can use this link to create a new topic on the selling boards nara http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/2500000010

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

With the FVF on postage isn't it actually calculated at a higher rate on postage , 10% so buy loading the postage they're paying more in fees?
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

to hot   its an old thread last year

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Blown away on all the fees, Paypal, Postage & Ebay costs just to send a magazine to someone.

Just restarted selling again. After all costs added it added to $6.98 (not including packaging costs) for a magazine weighing 200g !

Just trying to make $1.50-$2 a magazine without excessive costs to buyer to get my product is almost impossible.

Honestly believe Ebay is no longer a viable or cost effective method in selling low cost items. This needs to be addressed by Ebay/Paypal maybe a reduction of fees on items sold under $20 (inclusive of postage). I understand the scam some sellers were doing on hiking postage fees to avoid FVF and see the need on commission on postage. To have to then put $7-$8 postage (cover pakaging costs - travel/envelope/lining) to send a $2 magazine will keep prospective buyers away.

Always send items registered post as required for seller protection. Been scammed ages ago " i didnt get item when sent std postage" wont ever do that again.

Any thoughts?

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

had a long talk with post office. Best option, prepaid registed post envelope to 500g.  $6.10 each, or if bought in bulk go under $6.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

stop dragging up old irrelevant threads.

start a new topic if you must
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Hi everyone, the discussion is getting a little heated.  Please be sure to keep your communications civil.  Thanks!

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply