Selling but no one paying

I’ve recently started selling on eBay and so far I’ve had multiple (dodgy) offers on items I am selling. I’ve had 4 items win at auctions and no one is paying up. One messaged after a week saying they are no longer interested. Two of my items sold and the buyer is overseas even though I have stated I don’t post overseas. 
I know there are a heap of scam buyers out but never thought it would be this bad!

anyone have any advice on getting paid once an auction ends and how to weed out the dodgy buyers? 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Selling but no one paying

Change  your listings to "immediate payment required".  

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Apparently scam buyers like to target new sellers because they know they are inexperienced.

Do what curraone suggested, but you won't be able to do it with auctions, so just use BIN and immediate payment for the moment.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply. My items selling are by auction, I am unsure how to change it to immediate payment required with an auction

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Chantelle, use the 2 links below to manage non-payment issues with buyers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I sell most of my items as auction, because they seem to sell better that way. For clothing, often you're best to sell as a buy it now with immediate payment required.

Also, set up buyer requirement blocks, to stop people buying who have had 2 or more non payment strikes against them in the last 12 months (It's a rolling 12 months). https://www.ebay.com.au/bmgt/BuyerRequirements

I would also add those buyers to your blocked buyer list, which should be on the same page as the above link. Be sure to cancel the transactions, stating non payment, so you get your fees back and the buyers get a strike on their account. If you don't cancel, you will still have to pay ebay the fees.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

As suggested, change your listings to BIN, you seem to only get one bid on items anyway.

Then have IPR and you eliminate all non payers.

Women's clothing and accessories tend to be impulse buys hence quickly forgotten after a few days, especially a long auction.

image host
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you so much for all

the suggestions, it’s been extremely helpful. I’ve set up so only buyers in Australia can purchase and I’ll work on switching my items over to buy it now 🙂

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I had this happen on the same item twice. I accepted a best offer from a 0 feedback buyer. A day later they sent a message asking ridiculous questions. I told them they could cancel if they want. They never responded and never paid. I cancelled it as soon as I was allowed and relisted it. Almost immediately another 0 feedback buyer sends an offer and I accept. I wait a day, then decide to check them out. They had  a vacant block as an address and some scientific term instead of a real name. I strongly suspect they are a rival seller with extremely poor feedback using a guest account to buy my item to keep it off the market while they attempt to sell theirs. I cancelled it as soon as I was able. I have since changed it to buy it now, no offers and immediate payment. They started watching it again as soon as I relisted it.

I'm onto you, rival seller.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

It’s really frustrating! I just had another one who won an auction say they’ll pay Wednesday and one who won two items  from overseas ask me to email or whatsapp them some more photos because they are interested in the item (even though they won the items). 
I guess I’m a little naive, I treat eBay like I’m purchasing from any other online store and always pay straight away, so would have thought others would be the same 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply