Selling clothes

Hi all,

I've been wondering lately about how best to present clothes in photos. For the last year I've either just laid the item on a rug, or hung it up behind my door - but I'm not really satisfied with how the presentation turns out. 

I'd like to get a dressmakers dummy/mannequin to display the clothes on properly, but it would be great to hear what you guys think. What do you find works for you? Do you think 'fancy' photos with a mannequin are better, or are door/floor photos ok? Which have you had the most success with?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Selling clothes

saarzi
Community Member

In my opinion, hanging clothes on a door, or on the carpet or rug (especially if its dark or multicoloured), gives me the impression of, unprofessional, grotty/ dirty, seller couldnt care less, poor quality and clueless. Whether thats true or not, isnt really the point. It turns buyers off.

Youve posted in a post here before about this, and almost everyone recommended you have light coloured, clear, clean backgrounds. The peice of clothing needs to be the focus of the photo - not the old carpet or kitchen cupboard.

Dont you have a light coloured wall somewhere with a picture hook you can hang things on so they look a little better presented?

If you dont, and if I was you, I'd be ironing a clean white sheet, lying that on the floor, and arranging the clothes to be photographed on that. OR.. just crop out the door in MSPaint (or something) - see attached, your red dress.

The clothes you have on a clear background - like THIS one, look great. If you can get them all to look similar, theres no need for a mannequin. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Selling clothes

Full bodied mannequins are good but are not flexible in sizing, and so are best suited for new items where you have a range of sizes available and so can choose a size that fits the mennequin the best.

Most common for one off items that are in an assortment of sizes is to have say 2-3 different sized half bodied form hangers, and pick the closest and back pin them. Use a drop sheet behind rather than a door etc.

You also have to take into account set up time. A fully adustable full mannequin, apart from being expensive, is going to take longer to set up per item, than a half body form.. Ok if you are setting up a few expensive items, but if you have a whole lot of lower margin items it is soon going to be too much effort.

Dont go pinning a size 20 dress on a size 8 mannequin, you will get complaints about misrepresentation

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

for the small amount you sell is buying a mannequin worthwhile? I would say the door is fine
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

I won't consider buying clothes that have been photographed on the floor (rug or not).Or lying on a bed, as perspective is always skewed.

I use a half torso to photograph clothes I sell - and I don't pin larger sizes. Items that won't suit my mannequin (skirts and pants) I hang on clothes hangers.

I think it is more important to take photos from both sides, and include a closeup to show fabric (pattern and/or texture) as well as including measurements. I also ensure the background is as plain as possible (I use a cream blanket hung from curtain rails above a window) and photos are taken in natural but not direct daylight.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

Wow eggs, you must miss out on a heap of bargains and beautiful peices!  Oh well, one way is as good as any other to cut down on spending.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

@black*poppy wrote:

Wow eggs, you must miss out on a heap of bargains and beautiful peices!  Oh well, one way is as good as any other to cut down on spending.

I'm desperately trying to downsize, so missing out on bargains laid out on the floor is a good thing.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

Eggs - really interesting points, thanks.
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

The main things I put on the floor are trousers and skirts.  I refuse to pull the mannequin apart for trousers and risk damaging her (she has to be taken off the stand to thread the legs over her feet).  I can't seem to get a good result with hanging trousers either, they just look better on the floor.  

Some skirts are the same too.  I don't think they come up well on the mannequin because of the way she kicks her leg out, unless they are really long.  Some skirts, like jersey, are too drapey to put on a hanger, but come up a treat on the floor.  

I used to have a wooden floor before I moved, really miss that.  All the clothes looked wonderful on the floor then, carpet is a bit bleh.

If you keep a lookout you can score a mannequin for under $100 delivered.  I think the flesh coloured ones are the best because you can see light coloured clothes on them - I've been discussing with my partner for awhile now about re-spraying mine (he's got a spray booth).  My other advice would be don't get one with a full made-up face and hair, or at least crop it out of your photos.  They just look creepy.  

Other than that, take a good look at how other sellers present their clothing, you can learn alot.  Not having a mannequin doesn't mean you won't do well.  A few prominent sellers just hang everything and do well, some that use mannequins look dreadful.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

Harley babes - usually I list quite a bit more than I have this month. You're right, the door is fine for now, but if I start listing a lot more, I want the photos to look better than they do now.
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Selling clothes

Poppy - really good points, thanks 🙂
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply