Selling food product

Hi l was thinking about Buying Tumeric powder in bulk and adding black pepper to it which improves its health benefits  and then selling it in smaller parcels . For example buying a 5kg bag of tumeric powder on ebay and adding black pepper and then re- selling it on ebay in small parcels .  l was wondering as its a food product are there any special rules , restrictions or procedures l would need to follow first before selling it? thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Selling food product

Have a look at the link below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/food-policy?id=4295&st=3&pos=3&que...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

As you will be repackaging it there will be government food standards you will need to consider as you will no longer be a seller only but a manufacturer as well.  Check your state food authority for guidelines and requirements

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

There are sure to be state regulations so as others have said, you'd be best to check those out before you buy a thing.

Once you are sure you comply with all those regulations, then you'd have to be sure you had professional packaging.

I buy several different food items from ebay from time to time and one thing I have noticed is the sellers are not supposed to claim health benefits for these items. Or put it this way, they have to be very careful how they word their ad.

You're saying to us that adding black pepper improves the health benefit but I am not sure if you'd be allowed to say that in the ad. It's something you'd need to check out.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

Just as a guide, this disclaimer is from an ad for a spice.

Customer Information:

The information provided is intended as an information guide only and the user should determine if the product offered is suitable for their use. The user should obtain professional advice from a medical practitioner before use. We do not claim the product will result in a cure for any new or existing illness or ailment. We do not and cannot legally prescribe or advise on the use of this product. The user should be familiar with the use of herbs & powders and should seek professional advice if unsure.

Always store herbs and spices in a cool dry place out of sunlight.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

Far too many already there - professionally packaged - hygenically sealed.

Especially in Capsule form.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

a proper approved food handling kitchen.

Scientifically tested and proven document confirming your claims of health benefits,  not just jo blow stating it has health benefits.

Detailed packaging of exact contents, 

should I go on,  or you get my drift

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

Agree with all the advice / information supplied on this post so far, plus, in case I missed it,  you would need a good insurance policy if selling such a product. eg in the event that a buyer had a bad reaction.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

Ingredients: tumeric powder (75%),  black pepper (25%)

Not too hard really and spices are mixed dry so a full kitchen not needed. Just a few benches, scales and a wash sink.

I have some spare space, may be a good business idea except for the smell irritating my sinus 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Selling food product

Insurance would be a cost that would likely deter many as my guess would be between $500-$1000 per year

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply