Selling my used DVD collection.

I apologise if this topic has already been done to death.   I did look at some previous similar posts but most of them are years old.

I have hundreds of used DVDs in good condition that I have either already watched multiple times or will never get around to watching.    Is it worth trying to sell them on eBay given that most people use streaming services and it will be pretty time consuming packing and mailing out these items.    I guess I could flog off the individual DVDs for $10 maybe even less and some of the box sets seem to be advertised by other sellers for $50 or higher (e.g. 10 Series Smallville).

I wonder if its worth it apart from maybe breaking even on selling them minuse costs and my time to add to my feedback score?

It seems like there are still people selling them?    Are they making a quid or is it just a hobby when all the overheads are taken into consideration?

Cheers,

Kevin

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have done some more research after reading all the replies and also looking at local ad sites where people ae selling off collections of DVDs at almost give away prices.    One local ad that looks like it might have been a business closing down is offering 2,500 dvds, many new, for $123.00.   I almost made an offer for them myself.   Lucky I stopped myself, that would have been potentical grounds for divorce if my wife found more box loads in the garage instead of unloading the ones I already own.   

I admit defeat.   The thousands of dollars I invested in these DVDs over the years is gone.   Many I never got around to even watching.   In fact one of my reasons for getting rid of them is not so much the clutter in my garage as the commitment of time it will take me to watch all of these videos.   Every one was hand picked by me or a gift from family over the years.

I guess that is what technology does.   We have to move with the times.   I even found some VHS videos in the bottom of one box.   Amazing.     Time to bin them and start listing my books, which I think are still worth selling.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice.
Kevin

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

No way would I pay those prices for used DVD's. You could try listing them and see what happens.

I'd probably also suggest asking the moderators to move this thread to the Selling forum, as it's way more active than this one and you'll probably get more replies.

Edited to add, to contact the moderators, scroll to the top of your message and click the little square after where the time is that you posted, then select report inappropriate content. Then leave a message asking if they can move your thread to Selling.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

You will also need to make sure you have correctly fully completed sign up to Managed Payments if you have not done that already, and be aware of the hold on funds for new sellers if you are not selling on an account that you keep active as a seller on

Good luck

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Just because others list dvd's, doesn't mean they are selling.

I usually buy dvd's from 5-10 dollars but no more.

I tried selling some in lots of 10 but they didn't sell even after lowering prices considerably.

So I gave them away.

If you list some I suggest listing in lots and perhaps let the buyer choose which 5 or 10 they want.

(As said you have posted in the answer centre rather than on the discussion boards, not many read here)

image host
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Unfortunately, in a few years DVDs will most probably be considered obsolete, and even now they are less and less popular, that's why they will only sell if they are cheap.

They even make a lot of new laptops without an optical drive these days: Q&A: Why do new laptops not come with optical drives? (ricksdailytips.com)

They are still making external optical drives you can connect to your laptop via USB, but not forever.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

You can check completed / sold listings to get a general idea of what's selling and for how much - personally if I were to list mine, I'd do them in bulk lot listings. Full series of a TV show as one lot, for example (i.e. all seasons I had as one sale), and then themed lots for things like movies (this is how I did it some years ago, though they had a lot more value back then and a box set of a trilogy for example would still fetch a good price on its own, now I might put several in a single listing, and then do something like an action movie lot, comedy movie lot etc - you're almost assured to sell at a loss compared to what you originally paid, though, unless you have some things that aren't available any other way). 

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

When I discovered local Op shops bin books and chuck out any CDs that they " don't like" , I decided better to sell for at least a few dollars rather than add to the pile at the dump. It makes it easier to lose a collection if done a few at a time.

I agree with digital*ghost's suggestion of doing a search first. For example, a search of DVDs at sold price range $10 to $20, located within AU and with region code "all regions" shows 1,376 were sold between 9/10/21 and today.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

I am a Star Trek nut. I had complete seasons on VCR and DVD. I looked into selling on eBay.  The postage was murder and I realized it was a waste of my time. I dumped them. 

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

As a Trekkie you would have kept them to re-watch, surely.

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Not much of a Trekkie to dump them.

You're supposed to lovingly gaze at them forever more.

You're hereby voted out of the Trekkie club - forever more.

(Buyer pays the postage, so if they're Trekkie,s and they want 'em, they'll pay it.)

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply