Selling pickup only items

Hi, I was thinking of selling some items that are too big to post, but had a few questions regarding doing this.

Can you insist on cash on pick up only in your listing? I thought you had to offer Paypal/Paymate/Merchant Credit Card. Just do not want to be reported for an inappropriate listing.

If you do cash only do you tick other/see item description under other payment methods and not tick anything under the safer payment methods - Paypal etc?

Just wondering if any experienced sellers do offer Paypal or if it is not worth the risk due to an item not received claim.

Thanks for you help.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Selling pickup only items

WOW,how does the underbidder find the address?

That would be a trap for young players!

----------------------------------------------------------
Started out with nothing...still got most of it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

If you are bidding on an item you can pull their details and have them emailed to you.

image host
Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I have in the past insisted on them having a paypal receipt when they pick up, either on a mobile device or printed if they absolutely HAVE to pay by paypal, I usually accept COD. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Good policy stormness.

(I think you mean cash on pick up, not cash on delivery, unless you deliver. It is also an expensive AP service where they get the cash for you on delivery).

image host
Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

No, I meant pick-up, of course, trying to take shortcuts on my mobile, and saying silly things!

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

The only way I can accept credit cards is through Paypal so if I sell an expensive item then I feel I have to accept a Paypal payment in case the buyer can not afford the item so needs to use their credit card on a pick up only item.

Only you can decide if the risk of a credit card charge back is worth the money you will make by selling pick up only items and accepting the occasional Paypal payment.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Unfortunately all the receipts and checks you can do will not stop you losing a genuine bank chargeback if a stolen or cloned credit card has been used. if you had a receipt with a copy of the buyer's driving license with the address shown then you could go to the police as they would have committed a crime but you would have to go after them in the civil courts to get your money or the goods back.

Having said that the chances of it happening are extremely rare and only possible if the Paypal payment is funded with a card.

Many buyers, especially newbies, pay with Paypal for a pick up item not realising that they have no buyer protection and usually if you explain that to them and tell them you are happy to refund their payment so they can pay cash after inspecting the goods they will agree.

If you don't want to accept the very small risk of a bank chargeback then there s a way to list which does not discourage a safe payment method but preempts any attempt to use Paypal and pick up together.

You need to list with freight as the only delivery method and Paypal and cash on pick up as the only payment methods.

They then have to pay for freight, very expensive for most large items, or they have to pay with cash.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply