Selling pickup only items

Hi, I was thinking of selling some items that are too big to post, but had a few questions regarding doing this.

Can you insist on cash on pick up only in your listing? I thought you had to offer Paypal/Paymate/Merchant Credit Card. Just do not want to be reported for an inappropriate listing.

If you do cash only do you tick other/see item description under other payment methods and not tick anything under the safer payment methods - Paypal etc?

Just wondering if any experienced sellers do offer Paypal or if it is not worth the risk due to an item not received claim.

Thanks for you help.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Stanas,

Yes, you can insist on cash on pick up, but you also have to offer one safe payment method (usually PayPal).

Most buyers are aware that with pick up items, there isn't any buyer protection so most don't use PayPal to pay anyway.

They are encouraged to pay with cash on pick up after they've inspected the goods are happy they are as described.

If I have a pick up item, I typically just explain they are welcome to pay with PayPal but point out what I mentioned above. I've never had anyone pay with PayPal for a pick up item yet.

Under postage methods, there's an option for pick up only. Click that one.

Just remember, you have to accept one safe payment method regardless.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

and* are happy they are as described

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks.

Just wondering what you would do if a buyer insist or does pay with paypal? Do you just refund or is there a way to protect yourself if the buyer comes to pick it up?

Out of curiosity what are the problems for the buyer if they use Paypal (you said there is no buyer protection)?

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Not so much problems for buyers, just no buyer protection should it be not as described.

They come to see if first then pay. Gives you more credibility to say you prefer they see it before they pick up. So no benefit.

It's more a potential problem for a seller if the PayPal payment was funded with a credit card and they do a chargeback claiming fraudulent use months later. 

Most won't insist when they learn there is no benefit, but if you get one that does maybe because they want to use a PayPal balance, can't flatly refuse it.

image host
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

G'day Stanas,

About 50% of my sales are pick up,95% pay cash on pick up and a few pay immediately with Paypal,then pick up later as arranged.

I have never had any problems so far,but the type of product I sell may have some bearing on that.

Others have suggested you could get them to sign a docket ,I have never done this and I don't know how it stands legally?

----------------------------------------------------------
Started out with nothing...still got most of it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

whipstick makes a good point.

To get drivers licence number and car registration when they pick up so the information can be used should a buyer claim a chargeback due to fraudulent use.

It has happened before where an under bidder has beaten the winner to the address and claimed they were the winner, so getting ID on a pick up with PayPal payment is a good idea.

image host
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

It's more a potential problem for a seller if the PayPal payment was funded with a credit card and they do a chargeback claiming fraudulent use months later. 

There is a slight risk, the same risk that hundreds of thousands of businesses face every day, that a buyer or their bank many initiate a credit card chargeback through paypal for fraudulent use of card, or if they have overspent on their credit card.  

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

whipstick makes a good point.

To get drivers licence number and car registration when they pick up so the information can be used should a buyer claim a chargeback due to fraudulent use.

It has happened before where an under bidder has beaten the winner to the address and claimed they were the winner, so getting ID on a pick up with PayPal payment is a good idea.

Think this is great advice for paypal paid pick ups.

Also there are some categories that do not require safe payments, including cars.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks, great advice whipstick12  and kopenhagen.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply