Sending an offer to interested buyers

A couple of times lately I have had sellers send me an offer for items I have placed on my watch list. From an old thread I found that this was possible if you ask the seller a question, but I am sure this wasn't the case with at least one of the items I was sent an offer on. I just placed it on my watch list. 

I have several watchers on a number of items and in order to get things moving, would like to send an offer to those who are watching. How do I access this?  (and I don't have 'make an offer' enabled on any listings)

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

1. Open your eBay App and navigate to the Selling tab.
  2. Click on the โ€œSend offerโ€ button.
  3. Enter the amount (per item), please note you have to discount at least 5%.
  4. Include a nice message honoring that you are giving a discount.
  5. Review & Press Send Offer.

Ths was all I could find

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I don't actually use the app, but your suggestion made me look further and found 'send offer' under the 'edit' button on my listing in the seller hub.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@gumleaf_goodies wrote:

A couple of times lately I have had sellers send me an offer for items I have placed on my watch list. ....

Just an aside on this part of your message. In 2016 I sold a book for about $30. The buyer picked it up and gleefully told me he sold books and was so glad to have got this at a bargain price. Not a subtle person. So naturally I searched for the book and yep, next day listed for $145. So I put the book on my watch list, curious to see how much it got resold for  - needless to say, when I recently received an offer from the seller to buy it at $120 it was declined.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I had an unsolicited offer a couple of months ago for $50, on a $300 item. They don't sell on eBay, but use the same ID to sell on other sites. It is a rare book and they seem to have a copy, listed for $800.

I countered with $250, and an observation that they were a tad optimistic. Crickets. It would seem $550 wasn't enough profit for them.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

(not specifiaclly aimed at you Dave)

I reduced the price of an item with 4 watchers by 15% - no takers.

Was rather hoping it might kickstart sales as I haven't had a sale all week.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

When I was researching a book I wanted to sell, I found exactly the same one listed by another seller, and he was asking $100, plus $13.50 postage. I thought that was a tad high for what it was, so emailed him to check he had the price correct and if so, why so high? . His reply was that it was a VERY rare book. I don't think it could have been, as I had the exact same one (same publisher, date.etc). . 

So when I listed mine I put a price far below his and it didn't sell - neither did his. I kept lowering the price ( it is now listed for $10 with $3.60 postage - it's not a big book) and has now been listed for 6 months - a few views but no watchers.

Needless to say, his hasn't sold either. Still $100 plus $13.50 postage.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
I have occasionally made an offer to watchers in my store account but I don't think any have ever been accepted (usually offer around 20% off). I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure! I don't bother making offers anymore though. My prices are pretty fair as they are and if the watchers are really interested they will buy at that price. I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@joz15au wrote:
I have occasionally made an offer to watchers in my store account but I don't think any have ever been accepted (usually offer around 20% off). I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure! I don't bother making offers anymore though. My prices are pretty fair as they are and if the watchers are really interested they will buy at that price. I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.

I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure!

Interesting - think I will try that for those items I don't want to reduce in price (which I believe are very fair anyway), but have/had half a dozen watchers for a while.

I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.

I tend to agree.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I sold a book last week for $170. That was on the low side of what it's worth and I had it listed for 9 years. With rare books, you have to wait for the buyer looking for it.

The other seller might be overpriced, but you might well be underpriced. If a potential buyer sees a book listed at well under value, they might assume that it's not the book they're after.

I have bought a $50 book from an eBay seller for $16 and sold it for the actual value.

Maybe I need to look at your books.

There are plenty of resources out there to determine what a book is worth. eBay isn't necessarily the bible on values. Think bookfinder or addall.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply