Sending battery watches by air

Does anyone have ideas on how to ship a quartz watch by air since new postal rules and airlines prohibites such since 1 jan 2015

Ok so take the battery out is obvious but it puts sellers at real risk as non professional battery replacement can kill the movement and the buyers will try to claim the watch did not work.

Its crazy cos they dont take passengers watches ,ipods, hearing aids etc etc when they board a flight.

Come on Ebay , petition for your sellers

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

cq_tech
Community Member

These new regs apply to Lithium metal batteries and not Lithium-ion, which are quite different.

There appears to be a lot of confusion regarding the differences but I'm sure they'll be sorted in due course.

http://www.gizbeat.com/5930/new-2015-regulations-regarding-lithium-electronics/

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Australia Post published a new dangerous and prohibited goods guide Dec 2014 it includes packaging advice for goods with dry cell batteries.

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/Dangerous-and-prohibited-goods-guide-Dec2014.pdf

Freight packaging requirements is just one of the risks involved in selling goods online that have batteries.  Not sure that many sellers ever follow the packaging requirement rules in any case - many casual sellers would not even be aware of them.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I have been sending and receiving LiIon batts for years (not via ebay) and I can tell you that (and excuse me for using capitals) NO one dealing direct with the public in Australia Post or Customs has any real knowledge about the rules and regulations yet alone the real safety concerns with shipping batteries. For the most part the average Aust Post worker or Customs inspector thinks they know the rules and usually err on the side of saying no to anything that may pose too hard a question or make you jump through a heap of unneccesary hoops.  Technically LiIon batts must be sent by surface mail in Australia (even though they can legally travel by air internationally).  If someone really enforced the rules then many businesses would be in some serious trouble.  LiIon batts are in that many everyday items nowadays it would be almost impossible to police.

This question is raised almost daily on other fourms over the recent years and to this day we all still live with the individual interpretation of the rules by individuals in the respective authorities. Everyone will have a different answer -  everyone will interpret the rules differently.  I have given up trying!

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Incidentally, as the original question related to watches, it should be pointed out that the vast majority of watches use either silver oxide or alkaline batteries, and there are no issues sending those by air. Mobile phones, iPods, laptops, etc., do of course use Li-ion batteries but there are still no regulations against carrying any of those as passengers' cabin baggage.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks for your feedback, thats how I understood the new rules too but 

it makes no diference to the morons who control Australia post and  the

majority of courier companies. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply