Sendle seems to be more expensive than Australia Post

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone elase is having issues with Sendle prices when going to print a label.  I have opted to use Sendle for my postage due to the high price of Australia Post.  I understood that Sendle was much cheaper but when I went to print out a label to Western Australia, the cost was $25.80    I can do the same destination with Australia Post for $8.95

Am I doing something wrong?  

I will be high-tailing back to Australia Post if this is correct.  Maybe the price is cheaper for some destinations, but I always give a fixed-price for postage to anywhere in Australia as this gives potential buyers some certainty.  I never know if someone is going to buy from my own city or on the other side of the country.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I haven't used sendle, I use Australia Post for many reasons, but currently loving the weight limit up to 5kg in any size satchel. Like you, also do fixed price anywhere in Australia. I've been caught out before having to post to very remote areas, out from Alice Springs lol Aren't they kind of like a broker though, using different postal services? Is your item small or under 500g?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Sendle is a broker service and uses different couriers depending on who services the area you want to send to.

I would be surprised if they are much cheaper than Australia Post.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will stick with Australia Post
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I know one business that uses either, just depending on which is cheaper for the destination

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

BEWARE - I was charged extra by Sendle for my parcel after pick up as it apparently "weighed 2kg and was 34 X 10 x 33 cm." ... BUT I have photos of this parcel showing it is so small that it was smaller than the Sendle label of 10 x 15 cm ( this is which was wrapped across 2 of its surfaces). It contained a ladies watch weighing 123g! I've now noticed they've put an extra $7 or $5 on a few other invoices. they are now more expensive than Australia Post in many areas. I suggest everyone photograph their parcels and show weight and size. I'll go to Fair Trading if I don't get a refund. I'm beyond angry.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I'm having the exact same issue. Sendle did not collect my parcels; they are a single small item of clothing each, and each little box is much lighter than a bag of 500g spaghetti! But I've bought the labels; meaning ebay will already detract the cost. And my parcels are not sent.
If I now attempt a recollection, I know what they will say - that I have to pay again. And apparently I cannot switch to an alternative service once that label is paid for! Why not??

By the time I get these sent, the postage and fees ebay takes will be most of the money earned. Not worth it at all!

I have spent most of the evening researching. Australia Post is far far cheaper. On my list of items now sold, the options for each one are at $17.95 for Sendle pick-up; $9.30 for Australia Post. Why on earth would I choose the former for selling an item at $45 where I'm paying for the postage??
Get lost Sendle!!

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Whats going on with Sendle now nearly double the price of Australia Post for standard postage, ha.... what a joke!  $9.70  AP    $17.65  Sendle , are you kidding me Sendle!!🤔

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Sendle can be cheaper but it all depends on the location. Sendle doesn't work so well for rural areas, and it also doesn't really work out cost effective against the Australia Post satchels. 

Where Sendle does seem to work well is in bulkier items and in metro areas. The other issue with Sendle is (like any courier service) is that you are totally at the mercy of the quality of the driver or franchisee in your area. At the moment I have great drivers for both Amarex (Fastway) and Couriers Please which are the predominant choice of Sendle. Previously I had let's say flaky at best drivers in my previous suburb. 

Saying all that, I still use Australia Post mostly for the peace of mind and insurance, and despite major issues over the last 12 months with Australia Post these have been resolved well. I probably only use Sendle for 2% of my sales, even though the drivers are great here, but it does pay to check the prices of Sendle and AP if it doesn't fit in a satchel because you can save, but I only use Sendle if the value is around $100 because I have heard their insurance claim process is a nightmare. 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply