Seriously? Ebay's 1st transaction on managed payments is to withdraw their fees from my bank account

I was assigned to managed payments last Wednesday. My first sales since then were tonight (Sunday). Tonight's payments still came through PayPal, but I received this email from Ebay, entitled "Upcoming charge to your payment option on file":

Hi ***** *******,

We're preparing to charge your bank account ending in **** for funds you owe. The reason for the charge is because you don't have enough available funds to pay for previous transactions.

We'll process this charge in no sooner than 3 days. The maximum you could be charged is AU $27.38.

If your available funds become sufficient to cover any or all of this amount before you're charged, we'll first deduct from your available funds. Any leftover outstanding amount will be charged to your bank account.

You'll see this charge recorded by your payment provider similar to the following:
EBAY*T*6911738649.

My credit card certainly should still be on file, and I have paid my Ebay fees on time every month that I was active since the beginning of 1998. I really don't want to have to go to the bank daily to deposit Ebay fees. I set up the account as a buffer so that PayPal or Ebay could not take funds from my main trading accounts. I was not advised on any level that Ebay would be now withdrawing their fees from my bank account, instead of just taking them from the credit-card they have on file.

Is this normal for how managed payments works?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Seriously? Ebay's 1st transaction on managed payments is to withdraw their fees from my bank acc

@found-in-australia wrote:

Is this normal for how managed payments works?

Yes.    Ebays expense are taken from your sales before you.   If there is insufficient, they take it from your bank account.    Sell faster.  ๐Ÿ˜

Good news is that you now have 250,000 free listings a month.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Re: Seriously? Ebay's 1st transaction on managed payments is to withdraw their fees from my bank acc

So why not bill as usual until they actually start processing the funds?

At least the billing for last night doesn't include payment processing (I just checked that they were not scamming in that way), but why make me have to go to the bank each day to pay their fees when they have a credit card on file, how the hell does that make any of this rubbish give even the faรงade of being easier or cheaper, when that is their supposed selling point.

Edited to remove a "bleep"  - they actually edit mundane words on this board now?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I'm on weekly payments, so should always have enough to cover store fees.

However, I have Paypal set as my preferred payment option and eBay are still using that.

The other alternative is to make a one-time payment before eBay dip into your bank account. It will only be once, as the current fees will be for the last month of pre-MP transactions. Once they are paid, fees will be deducted before you are paid.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

There might be some overlap and transition from the old method to the new managed payment - I know that the first week I was on the new system, things were a little confusing as to what was happening, as there were still fees that had accumulated from sales in the previous days before the switch over.

Going forward, all sale fees will be taken up front and the balance will held in your account until distribution.

Store fees and promotional fees are billed SEPARATELY and monthly, so you will get a specific invoice for those.

My Paypal is still linked as a method of payment, but because there is a zero balance in PP, the monthly fees are then drawn from my bank account via PP and into Ebay.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

"The other alternative is to make a one-time payment before eBay dip into your bank account. It will only be once, as the current fees will be for the last month of pre-MP transactions. "

No, my last month's fees are being treated as a normal billing cycle, to still be billed normally this month. I didn't have any listings last week, so that has somewhat conveniently separated the two. The above quoted amount is for last night's sales and a double category listing fee. Last night's sales were all paid directly into my PayPal account. I am not disputing the fees, just find it very inconvenient that I am now required to arrange to pay my Ebay fees daily.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply