Shame on you Australia Post - 30% Increase unfair

Hi everyone

Not sure if you are aware or not, but Australia Post has just increased their postage charges by 30% and this will flow on to buyers & sellers alike. Whether you buy with ‘free postage’ or buy with postage as an additional expense, we can all expect to pay more.

What has really got up my nose is how Aust Post can justify the previous charge of $1 for ‘signature on delivery’ with an increase today of $2.95 for the same service! This charge is now being applied to the ClickandSend ebay/austpost satchels that many ebay sellers in Australia use.

We are already fighting a losing battle to remain competitive in the global market because of our extortionate postage costs within Australia and to post internationally.

Sadly to say, I feel we are going to see ‘free postage’ go by the wayside now. Because 90% of buyers are using Paypal, sellers need to show ‘proof of delivery’ in the event of a buyer opening a dispute in Paypal, claiming an item has not been received. So many parcels go missing, whether through theft, damage, fraud or abandonment and if the extra $2.95 for a signature on delivery is not taken up, then the seller will automatically have the case closed in the buyer’s favour. It is that simple. Registered Post is no longer. If you want Registered Post, it will cost $2.95 for the signature on Delivery plus $1.50 to cover than article up to the value of $100!

Anyway, if you want to read more, here are a couple of links. There is an online petition which has over 1000 signatures that you may like to add your name to. This petition now has media interest with a phone interview from Karen with ABC Radio the Sydney Morning Herald’s article and callers ringing into 2GB Radio in Sydney.

In closing, if I can say one thing… there is nothing that riles an aussie more than seeing fellow aussies kicked when they are already down 😞

Cheers

Evil Elle aka Ellen

https://www.change.org/petitions/australia-post-reconsider-the-parcel-price-increases

http://www.smh.com.au/business/postage-costs-soar-by-30-as-online-retail-booms-20130407-2hewv.html

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Shame on you Australia Post - 30% Increase unfair

I will just preface this by saying, unfortunately we live in a capitalist free society which is controlled by big business and they can charge what ever they like. There are no laws to regulate price increases, it is a competition driven market (in relation with supply and demand) and if you have no competition, then it is happy days.

Having said that, from what I see, prices have gone up a little eg registered post is still available on letters and has gone up from $2.90 to $3.20. With parcels they have changed it so all parcels now have tracking standard as part of the cost with a proof of shipment capability.

This is from Click and Send :-

How do I track my item or email proof of shipment to other parties?

In the 'Item History' screen, you can view details of items you've previously sent. To access this screen, select 'History/Tracking', then 'Item History' from the menu at the top of the screen.

For all domestic items and International Express services, click the 'tracking' button next to it, and the delivery tracking information for that item will be displayed.

Alternatively, if you wish to provide proof of shipment by emailing the item details and a link to our tracking site to the recipient or a third party, select the 'Request info' button and enter the email addresses of the desired recipients.

Track event information for domestic items is available for a period of up to 60 days from when the item was sent.

I don't think a signature on delivery is a requirement of PayPal is it?

It also seems they also offer a free $50 cover (with conditions) via application

From general letter and parcel deliveries:-

Compensation

Compensation up to $50 for loss or damage during carriage may be paid at Australia Post’s discretion upon production of a receipt or other proof of lodgement.

Extra cover is $1.50 per $100, which used to be $2.90 for initial $100

I have to admit I don't post a lot of stuff, but to me it doesn't seem all that bad.

☯Only the Best Things in Life are Free☯
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Its tricky... some buyers won't buy without the "free post"... its odd that they will actually pay higher prices overall for this "free" service... of course you have to charge more to offset the fees so I do.

Yeah, I a. signed petition, and b. banged head against wall - both will probably produce similar results.

Buy your stuff from the UK folks - its cheaper and it often gets there faster... 😛

Hah, well maybe I should start a business importing from there... else just dropship.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Hi there,

this is my first time in the forums.

I understand as a seller what you are saying.  I think its shocking what the government are doing to us. Everything goes up and our wages stay the same. How disgusting and unfair.

Marie

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

When exactly signature on delivery costed $1? Common, Let's not be over dramatic.

They had registered post before and it costed $3 with $100 cover. Now it just signature on delivery for $2.95 and if you need a cover you will pay extra.

It is an increase for sure for those who needs insurance. However if you look  at regular postage changes  it is less than before. It was $6.60 for parcels up to 500g and there was no tracking included in this rate. You had to pay extra $1.50 for it. Now it is $6.95 with tracking.included.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

When exactly signature on delivery costed $1?.

With Click&send satchels signature was $1 extra right up till the end of April this year.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

and it covered for $100 !!

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

With Click&send satchels signature was $1 extra right up till the end of April this year.

Sorry, I do not use Click&Send so I do not know what has changed there. 

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Mind you... aust post (at least my local outlet) seems to think that click and send is basically run by eBay... so perhaps we should try to complain to them...

Actually no, don't. Save time, bang head on wall instead 😛

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

To add insult to injury Australia Post are importing Indian workers into managerial positions so the incredible profits Auspost make (after their ridiculous 30% increase) don't even stay in Australia. What about putting Australians first in these days of hardship.

Now for the good news - give Auspost the flick and use e-go.com.au if posting to capital cities. E-go charge a flat $9.90 to any metro area in Australia, up to 25kg (they don't send to PO Boxes). On one comparison e-go were $9.90 to Perth and the Auspost price for the same item was quoted at $37.00. Also, e-go have automatic tracking and their insurance is cheap compared to Auspost.

I leave you with this statement made by a postie last week:

"the Auspost call center is there to fob customers off as quickly as possible, if they solve too many missing parcel cases, they are sacked."

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

E-go are notoriously unreliable.

And, along with most couriers, there is the issue of both sender AND recipient being available for collection and delivery.

I can't be available for pick up as I have a job, and I don't expect my buyers to stay home for at least half a day on the off chance that the courier will actually turn up in the nominated delivery window.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply