Shame on you Australia Post - 30% Increase unfair

Hi everyone

Not sure if you are aware or not, but Australia Post has just increased their postage charges by 30% and this will flow on to buyers & sellers alike. Whether you buy with ‘free postage’ or buy with postage as an additional expense, we can all expect to pay more.

What has really got up my nose is how Aust Post can justify the previous charge of $1 for ‘signature on delivery’ with an increase today of $2.95 for the same service! This charge is now being applied to the ClickandSend ebay/austpost satchels that many ebay sellers in Australia use.

We are already fighting a losing battle to remain competitive in the global market because of our extortionate postage costs within Australia and to post internationally.

Sadly to say, I feel we are going to see ‘free postage’ go by the wayside now. Because 90% of buyers are using Paypal, sellers need to show ‘proof of delivery’ in the event of a buyer opening a dispute in Paypal, claiming an item has not been received. So many parcels go missing, whether through theft, damage, fraud or abandonment and if the extra $2.95 for a signature on delivery is not taken up, then the seller will automatically have the case closed in the buyer’s favour. It is that simple. Registered Post is no longer. If you want Registered Post, it will cost $2.95 for the signature on Delivery plus $1.50 to cover than article up to the value of $100!

Anyway, if you want to read more, here are a couple of links. There is an online petition which has over 1000 signatures that you may like to add your name to. This petition now has media interest with a phone interview from Karen with ABC Radio the Sydney Morning Herald’s article and callers ringing into 2GB Radio in Sydney.

In closing, if I can say one thing… there is nothing that riles an aussie more than seeing fellow aussies kicked when they are already down 😞

Cheers

Evil Elle aka Ellen

https://www.change.org/petitions/australia-post-reconsider-the-parcel-price-increases

http://www.smh.com.au/business/postage-costs-soar-by-30-as-online-retail-booms-20130407-2hewv.html

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

mesonquark
Community Member

30% is somewhat understating the actual impact.

For our small eBay business and our livelihood, that translates to $8000 extra we are being forced to wear. That's just in the Signature on Delivery cost which applies to the Click&Sends as well as the SOD "replacement" of Registered Post parcels which we have to use for items that don't fit into the B1, B2 or B4 Boxes or satchels.

Now instead of sending out 4000 or so parcels each year and paying $4000 for what was the old Signature Required ($1.00 for signature, tracking and automatic insurance of $100), we will now be paying $12000 for the exact same thing.

So that $1.00 is now going to be $2.95 per parcel and if that doesn't raise alarm bells for all Australians, I don't know what will.

There is no justification for this 195% increase, no matter what the circumstances are. I believe it has been well and truly calculated by Australia Post's accountants to boost their profits significantly, because the replacement service is nothing different to what it was previously, just the price.

And that's only one part of this price hike package that Australia Post has forced upon us. The P&H increases alone are beyond the pale as well.

I've just signed that petition and I hope it actually makes a difference, but I personally doubt it as I believe the Federal Minister had to sign off on the price changes to authorize them.

For the federal government it means more funds to boost their ever growing deficits and borrowing. The federal government receives a substantial amount of Australia Posts profits each year and it would have been in their interests to sign off on this outrageous ripoff.

Cross fingers Ellen that the petition makes a difference.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

mens_choice_ladies_lingerie
Community Member

You choose to sell on eBay, I lost all faith in ebay, started my 30 free listings after closing my store and do not advertise any more than that now days.

The post office are simply trying to get their cut, I would be point the finger at eBay before the post office, Carbon tax has made the price of postage go up too.

No surprise there Ju LIAR Gillard!

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

Please sign this petition if you think it is unfair, i know it probably won't help anything but something is better than nothing.

http://auspost.com.au/about-us/australia-post-increases-profit.html

All they are doing is hurting Australian business which in turn is going to hurt their own profits. Really stupid move.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

u.s.s.p
Community Member

Australia Post is supporting Overseas sellers further by raising local delivery costs and services

..... Simply...Parcel deliveries now cost more to send accross our country then it does to have trackable deliveries from China or the USA.

Now coupled with Ebay Fees damatically increasing..its just not worth it.. and reflects on the real downward sales trends online here in this country. 

Its a pitty we have a useless federal government..anti Business.. PRO Social Security .. buy a vote..

If somebody cared.. Today Tonight and others would be up in arms on TV..but as Ebay  and Aust post are in this case both putting up prices dramatically.. its not likely either one will come out and really say much.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Apart from the fact that Abbott and his Treasurer (who can't add up) won't be any better, I don't think this is the forum for politics.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

And keep in mind that Ebay's final value fee is based on the item cost PLUS the postage cost, so this huge increase will mean we pay even higher Ebay fees.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

And keep in mind that Ebay's final value fee is based on the item cost PLUS the postage cost, so this huge increase will mean we pay even higher Ebay fees.

NO THEY ARE NOT, well not on ebay australia.  get yr facts right.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

corecomputers
Community Member

In fact, the higher Auspost cost must be factored into free delivery listings and then you are paying more in eBay fees. I am sure they don't mind it at all...   and continue to sell Auspost as important service partner.

It DISGUSTS me how large cooperation get away with such market behavior. Time to file a complaint with the ACCC.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Find alternatives. Like not offering 'free' post for starters. I am not, nor ever will be, a TRS. And TRS+ is a joke for what I sell. I offer 'free' post for items that will post as letters, everything else has postage separate.

I still make sales. And I don't come up on the first page according to 'best' match. Maybe book buyers (or even non-book buyers) are too smart to be conned by the default.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply