Simply Collect at Woolwoths and Big W

Hi guys,

I was just reading up on this new Simply Collect at Woolworths and Big W.

There are double standards here.

Ebay offers buyers 100% Guarantee if they are not happy with their items, and I think this is covered over 90 days from ebay sellers

On facebook, it states with Simply collect at these two stores (Woolworths and Big W)

Your parcel will be held in store for seven days, starting from when you are sent your collection code.

If you fail to collect your item by the date provided you will not be entitled to a refund as you will no longer be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee.

thoughts?

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

This bothers me a bit, primarily because thus far, no further information has been provided about what happens to an item if it is not collected. (I keep imaginging Big W etc having "abandoned eBay parcel" sidewalk sales Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL

I can presume the most logical thing is that it's returned to the seller, but there's nothing currently to confirm that, and even then I still have so many 'what if's' that are unanswered by the limited info currently available. eg

What if last day of collection is a Friday, buyer goes to store Saturday morning and it's still there - are they allowed to collect it, and if they do, what if it's not as described? I also presume they wouldn't be able to file - successfully - INR at any point after delivery to Woolies, so protection would specifically relate to INAD, which means there'd be no point in deciding not to collect it if they were still able to, 'cos they couldn't get a refund via eBay either way. o_O

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

I find this bit interesting,

Yes. Someone else can pick up your parcel as long as they have the collection code sent to you.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

You'd want to make sure the phone or email you use is as secure as something like that can be - when I use C&C services with JB, I have to take a print-out of the collection notice, and photo ID that matches the checkout details (so technically I could get someone else to collect the item, but I would have to nominate them as the collector at point of payment). 

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Seeing as Simply collect is an optional choice for parcel delivery, buyers shouldn't choose it if it doesn't suit them.

Supermarkets are open early in the morn to late in the evening 7 days a week (even in the small town I live in) - it is not unreasonable to expect a buyer to pick up their parcel (or get another perons they know to collect it) within 7 days, if they selected simply collect option.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

I guarantee all ebay customers that Ebay will role out this new option. Once ebay has enough demand they will then charge all ebay sellers fees to direct their item to these stores. You must admit Ebay is a good way to make a living but finding ways to charge the ebay customers is becoming a joke. Paypal fees, Australia Post postage fee's', Ebay Fee's and more than likely This new Click and collect will attract a fee, While other ebay sellers across the globe dont get stung with fee's like us australian's.

What has Ebay become.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

If you fail to collect your item by the date provided you will not be entitled to a refund as you will no longer be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee.

thoughts?

If that is in the terms & conditions for Simply Collect, then the buyers are agreeing to that. That could become a reason why this delivery method won't take off.

I think the main reason eBay has introduced this option is because it will suit buyers who work 9-5 Mon-Fri and parcel pick up is a problem for them as most PO are closed when they finish work.

It is a busy time in supermarkets after 5.30p.m... with people stopping in on their way home from work -  buy some groceries, pick up your eBay parcel all in the same store.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Seeing as Simply collect is an optional choice for parcel delivery, buyers shouldn't choose it if it doesn't suit them.

Supermarkets are open early in the morn to late in the evening 7 days a week (even in the small town I live in) - it is not unreasonable to expect a buyer to pick up their parcel (or get another perons they know to collect it) within 7 days, if they selected simply collect option.

All perfectly reasoned thinking that I'm not disputing. I'm simply wondering what happens if/when something doesn't go perfectly according to plan, as happens in day to day life, and with eBay transactions on the odd occasion, even with the best of intentions of the buyer and seller (and eBay, and Australia Post, and - now - Woolworths). 

It's not asking much to want to know what happens in certain situations that will almost certainly occur eventually, no matter how suitable the service was for the buyer at the time they purchased.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

And what happens if a buyer goes in to collect their parcel and it cannot be found or worse given to the wrong person.  Do we as sellers get blamed for that like every other item AP misplaces.  And who would we open an investigation up with AP or Woolworths.  Is the parcel considered delivered when AP drops off at Woolies or when it is collected.  Are the parcels going to be securely "locked away" somewhere so they cannot be stolen by untrustworthy Woolies staff and cobtract cleaners.  The many questions that will probably never get answered.

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

I guess the trial areas will show what type of problems arise and whether they (eBay, Woolies) are able to minimise them.

The issue of the buyer not receiving notification that their parcel is avail for collection (an error that would have been caused by Woolies staff)  for collection could be one of the worst scenarios... parcel is returned to seller, buyer has no parcel and not eligible for a refund.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply