Small GST amounts on eBay monthly tax invoices

I've been noticing tiny GST amounts appearing on my monthly tax invoices even though I'm registered for GST and have provided my ABN so I should not be getting charged at all. The amounts are piddling ... usually between 2 to 5 cents total ... and when I go into the details it is always a 1 cent charge against several items.

GST charges.jpg

Anyone come across this and are there any suggestions as to whether I should be trying to account for the GST amounts or simply ignore them? The amounts deducted for fees match the GST inclusive total, in this case $252.67, and the fee percentage calculations all seem correct.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Small GST amounts on eBay monthly tax invoices

I haven't had any GST on my eBay invoices, but I get very similar, random amounts on my Etsy invoice (which has a near-identical system to eBay, with the exception of how they calculate some of their fees, which involves conversions to USD and then back to AUD, but that should be irrelevant anyway, and I digress...)

I wonder if it is just rounding being labeled as GST incorrectly for some reason, or it's calculating a GST amount, that amount is credited as a whole number to a certain decimal point, but it leaves over fractions of cents sometimes that are rounded up?

That's pure speculation, though, I really have no idea. (FWIW, I dismiss it entirely when it happens, I know it all adds up but I also know it would be an exercise in frustration trying to get answers, and you round down the final  figures [to the nearest whole dollar] when entering them on the BAS, so ultimately this would have very little impact, if any at all). 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks Digi,

My inclination is to simply ignore it as far as my own accounting goes, but it irks to not know what games eBay are playing.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Ah, if it irks you get on the chat and ask them

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply