Sold item not collected from post office (buyer ghosting)

Hello everyone,

So I sold an item (N64 console with box and everything) with signature post and it has been awaiting at the buyers local post office for 2 weeks now.

I have sent at least 4 or 5 message to the buyer informing of this but have recieved absolutely no response at all.

Assumming the item is sent back to me, how would a refund work regarding because they are entirely at fault for item not being either received at their home or collected at their local post office.

Have never had this situation before but it would seem unfair that I would have to eat the postage cost.

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sold item not collected from post office (buyer ghosting)

When it gets returned, just refund the price of the item, not the postage.

Stop communicating with the buyer. For whatever reason, they have chosen not to accept delivery.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Just remember some people could be stuck out of state or in quarrantine at the moment. I doubt that would be the reason but I have found lately some people are  not responding to messages. If you wanted you could ring the post office and see if they could hold it a little longer.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

What about paypal and ebay fees, do I just lose on them?

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I cannot contact the post office, it is licienced post office or something and they just do not answer their phone.

I even contacted Australia post and when they rang them, they could not get onto them either.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

You should not be out of pocket. Make sure that you calculate all of the associated fees and costs involved, and refund the remainder.

Remember that when a buyer fails to collect an item that was successfully sent, that failure to collect means that they will not be able to claim INR.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Appreciate the response, so I'd just enter a manual refund amount after calcuating that?

I'm guessing the refund option will appear if/when the item is sent back by the post office.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Wait for the item to be returned.

THEN decide what you will refund. Taking into account ALL associated costs.

No eBay options will appear. Unless the buyer opens a not recieved case. Given you posted with tracking, they won't be have a leg to stand on.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Of course but I want to be prepared. So then I'd do it under the refund option on the paypal transation itself?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, you will click on "Refund" in the Ebay order and send through the amount that you have decided upon, taking into account all factors.

Don't do anything through Paypal.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply