Sold used iPad now buyer wants to return for scratches on screen protector.

So I sold and iPad bundle, listed as used, 6 months old, had clear photos of complete screen and the add mentions that there is a screen protector on the iPad and a spare sent.

Buyer now wants to return due to scratches on screen & uploaded photos that I can’t see anything on of what looks like the corner of something with a screen on it, but I can’t even be sure that the photos are of the iPad I sent.
The original listing showed clear photos of complete screen showing everything as it was, I believe photos on listing form part of the description, so not sure how to proceed as I don’t really think it should be returned.

does anyone know if ebay would support my side if I contact them?

Has anyone gone through similar?

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Sold used iPad now buyer wants to return for scratches on screen protector.

I don’t really want to accept the return request… he is honestly picking on nothing considering it’s the screen protector.

he just replied & said “hey yeah, I understand” and did not send any clearer photos.

so I’ve replied to clarify with him that the return is now not required, and he is happy to replace the screen protector to the other one I supplied.

I have never been in this situation before so am not sure how it works. I don’t believe it’s a claim, so if he accepts that he was wrong about the item how do we go about undoing this?
is it best for me reject the return request or wait for him to do it on his end? What happens if he doesn’t undo this I guess?

Message 11 of 38
Latest reply

I don't know, but looking at your listing again, it really does not seem to be the same phone. For example the settings page - the screen protector is not even visible because it is smooth, and the photos the buyer sent show scratches and even bubbles?

Make it clear to the buyer that you have the serial number...

Message 12 of 38
Latest reply

He seems to be a new buyer by the way? Only 4 positive FB ratings?

And bidding on a lot of tablets and ebook readers...

Message 13 of 38
Latest reply

Interesting… didn’t realise you could look into what they are bidding on.

he just came back & said yeah ok, to my clarification… 

he has also asked for a receipt for the Apple Pencil. I do have it & can forward it however I’m just concerned in general with this but now & don’t know if it’s a good idea to send through… what do you think?

Message 14 of 38
Latest reply

You can tell him that you are not accepting the return request and that once he agrees and cancels it, you will send any receipts that you have.

Not sure if he can reopen a return request on Ebay, but he can definitely open a case through Paypal if that's how he paid. Or he could even initiate a chargeback if he paid with credit card. Sorry, it's a minefield.

Bear in mind, you only have a few days for all of this to happen, otherwise Ebay will close in his favour as mentioned.

Message 15 of 38
Latest reply

First you click on the bids, then you click on the bidder (even if his ID is not revealed) - this way everybody can see what they are bidding on, bid retractions etc.

Message 16 of 38
Latest reply

Thanks for the info.

I have just let him know

that I will look for the invoice this afternoon.

but in the meantime for him to close the return request.

All communication has been through eBay on my end so have screen shots of everything as well.

do you know if there is anyway to see what method of payment he used?

Message 17 of 38
Latest reply

Apparently there is a Report Buyer link within a return request (if a buyer falsely claims that an item is not as described), but... you would really need some solid evidence, so for now it is better to just decline the request.

Message 18 of 38
Latest reply

He's opened an INAD case which you cannot decline. He's stringing you along with his messages & being obstructive until such time as he can escalate the case to ebay. When that happens, ebay will close in his favour, refund him with your money & he'll get to keep the iPad. 

My advice would be to accept the return. He may or may not return the iPad, but it definately sounds like he's trying to get the item for free. Ebay will give him a timeframe to send the item back, if he doesn't send it back within that time ebay will close the return & release your funds.

Message 19 of 38
Latest reply

I'd go with the return - you then have something - and your original photos.

Why would he want the invoice for the pen - sounds to me like he's planning on - onselling.

He has the pen - I would not be sending a copy of the invoice.

Message 20 of 38
Latest reply