Sold used iPad now buyer wants to return for scratches on screen protector.

So I sold and iPad bundle, listed as used, 6 months old, had clear photos of complete screen and the add mentions that there is a screen protector on the iPad and a spare sent.

Buyer now wants to return due to scratches on screen & uploaded photos that I can’t see anything on of what looks like the corner of something with a screen on it, but I can’t even be sure that the photos are of the iPad I sent.
The original listing showed clear photos of complete screen showing everything as it was, I believe photos on listing form part of the description, so not sure how to proceed as I don’t really think it should be returned.

does anyone know if ebay would support my side if I contact them?

Has anyone gone through similar?

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Sold used iPad now buyer wants to return for scratches on screen protector.

I'm tending to agree on not supplying the receipt for the pen.

If buyer has opened a case for Not as Described, you cannot cancel. The option is there for the seller to accept a return/return request, but the case is essentially INAD.

Just send the shipping label and see what happens - you don't really have any choice. Please be aware that since the value is over $750, the label should include insurance and must have signature on your end as the recipient.

The entire bundle needs to be sent back.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

Sorry but what is INAD?

He has come back said don’t worry I’ll close the issue, but hasn’t closed it yet.

he has also said he wants the invoice to see if the Apple pencil can be added to the AppleCare + which it’s not linked to because they were bought separately.

If I have all of this in writing can I get ebay to finalise if he doesn’t do it in the next day?

I have until the 21st to reply to him.

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

As said - I would take the option of using ' return ' - the buyer may or may not - there is always a chance the item will not be in the condition sent - simply to prove a point.

But - it's kind of a no win situation - for the seller.

Unless the buyer - if trying it on - gives up and simply onsells.

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

Item - Not - As - Described.

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

Let me guess, you are an infrequent seller & the buyer has low feedback & is a relatively new member?

And you've just sold him an expensive iPad.

He's trying to scam you to get a free item. His message '' don’t worry I’ll close the issue'' is a delaying tactic & designed to make you feel he is a reasonable buyer. He won't close the case, but will wait until he can ask ebay to step in. If ebay step in they will close in his favor, refund him and let him keep your iPad.

Accept the return, send him a return label & I'd also recommend to stop communicating with him.

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

Yes this seems to be the case.

I did communicate with him to tell him I’m accepting & listed everything that is expected back including serial numbers and single little thing that was included in the package.

I am trying to organise the label but need express post with higher insurance and registered , which I’m not too sure how to at this moment.

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

Thanks everyone, I decided to accept return, I’m now trying to figure out how to get an express post label with higher insurance & registered to him, for to use.

I have until the 21st to send the label but obviously want to do it quicker.

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

When you accept the return through the return request, you have the choice of either purchasing a return label through ebay, or upload your own label. The easiest way would be to buy the label through ebay. The label will be generated straight away & the buyer will be able to print it off.

There's no need to purchase an express label for returns, regular post is sufficient.

Once the label is sent to your buyer he will have 10 business days if I remember correctly to post the iPad. If he chooses to keep it you won't be charged for the label & the return case will close.

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

A return after 6 months?  That's not a product fault that's a free rental

Most returns are within 30 days.  I don't think this customer has any right whatsoever to return anything after 6 months.  

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

@p9games wrote:

A return after 6 months?  That's not a product fault that's a free rental

Errr no, the ipad was 6 months old p9.

So I sold and iPad bundle, listed as used, 6 months old

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 30 of 38
Latest reply