Somebody has bought an item, but says he accidently misclicked on it. What do i do?

jchu8948
Community Member

Hi guys

A customer has bought an item, but i received a message from him 3 days later (today) that he "accidently" misclicked on the purchase button. I am a relatively new seller, so i am not sure what to do.

Any help please?

Much appreciated

Thanks

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Somebody has bought an item, but says he accidently misclicked on it. What do i do?

Someone with more knowledge regarding these cancellations will be able to answer your question more fully.  But my understanding is that the buyer will need to cancel the purchase, because if you initiate the cancellation you could (probably will) end up with a defect against your account through no fault of your own.  This must all be done through the eBay messaging system so that eBay can see the buyer has requested the cancellation. Hope that helps

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

It is not an accident, buying an item is a two step process, if they dont pay by four (4) days, open a non paying dispute, four (4) days later close the case, put the non payer on your blocked buyer list.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Has the buyer paid?

If not, you can cancel the transaction, selecting Buyer changed their mind or made a mistake, as the reason.  The buyer will need to respond to the confirm the cancellation, so send them an email and let them know this, and stress that if they do it this way neither buyer nor seller are penalised.  They are more likely to respond if they think there might be a penalty to them if hey don't.

If thye have paid and you need to cancel, make sure you have something in writing from the buyer that says they made a mistake and want to cancel.  Refund their money, then cancel, again asking the buyer to respond that they agree.  This way you will get your fees bak and there should be no defect recorded, however, if you do get one, call C&S and point them to the buyer's request for cancellation and it should be removed.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

If they just want to cancel one item, click on the dropdown next to the item and select cancel order. On the next screen, select buyer changed mind from the dropdown, then follow the prompts. DO NOT select the out of stock option.

First, I would ask the buyer to write in a message through eBay messaging, "I request to cancel my order for item <insert item here> <insert item number here>". I would also ask them to accept the cancellation request when it arrives. If they don't, it will be 10 days before it times out on its own.

There's still a chance you will get a defect. If that happens, RING eBay and tell them that the buyer requested to cancel and tell them to read the messages that were sent from the buyer. 

The other option is, and a lot of sellers are taking this road now due to the unfair defect system, open a non paying dispute. Close it 4 days later to get your fees back. If you take this route, tell the buyer that they don't need to do anything as it will automatically take care of itself in 4 days time.

A cancelled order, buyer can still leave feedback and some buyers will leave bad feedback purely because they can. A non paying dispute, neither party can leave feedback once the dispute is closed.

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

I wouldn't cancel anymore, open an unpaid item case in 4 days

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

I would definitely NOT cancel, it is too easy for a seller to get a defect these days.     There is no such thing as "accidentally buying" - he had to click confirm twice,  he knew what he was doing alright.

I would follow kopenhagens hint copied here:

WISHING TO CANCEL  thanks to kopenhagen5 25 may 2013

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Lame-excuses-from-buyers/m-p/341707#M30699

"Dear xxxxxxx

Sure, no problem. I understand you would prefer to cancel your purchase.

The method I use for closing a transaction is to follow the case procedure through ebay, hence you will still have the opportunity to purchase by paying within 4 days. Should you still wish to cancel the transaction, simply ignore the case and I shall close it on day 4.  This then ensures that my ebay fees are credited back to my account. Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,"

Open a non paying case, this way buyer gets a strike against their account and you are ensured of getting fees back.

If you send a cancellation he may not tick it and you will need to wait 7 days anyway before it's cancelled and you can relist. If he ticks non acceptance, you don't get the fees back and you can no longer open a case.

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

@bakeandfry wrote:
It is not an accident, buying an item is a two step process, if they dont pay by four (4) days, open a non paying dispute, four (4) days later close the case, put the non payer on your blocked buyer list.

I once had a woman say her 18 month old accidently placed a bid. Geeeeeezzzzeeee, clever Tot.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Apparently there are quite a few tots that are good at bidding on items. It's good how they manage to type an amount in, then click the button, then click the confirm button on the pop up. I find it even more amazing that they know to hit the confirm button and not the cancel button. Geniuses! Their parents must be so proud of their abilities at such a young age. 

I wonder if those people think that we've never heard that story before and think they are original. I hear it often at work "I slipped over on the loungeroom floor while I was naked and it just fell in there". Yeah right! 

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

I have seen tots and toddlers complete very complex actions on i-phones - amazing stuff !!

Bit cute watching their tiny fingers navigate where many adults struggle.    Of course not cute if they buy-it-now on eBay.

Don't believe me ?   http://mashable.com/2013/10/28/children-under-2-mobile-media-study/

"Nearly two in five children have used a tablet or smartphone before they could speak in full sentences, according to a new report.

Conducted by family advocacy organization Common Sense Media, the study found that 38% of children under the age of 2 have used a mobile device for playing games, watching videos or other media-related purposes. In 2011, only 10% had"

Or this story http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/babies-as-young-as-nine-months-using-tablets-smartphones-b...

"BABIES as young as nine months are teaching themselves to use iPads and iPhones before some can even crawl - much to the horror of many parents.

More than two-thirds of the 88 mothers interviewed by the Sunday Herald Sun for the “Babies: One Year On” project said their one-year-old could perform functions on a smartphone or tablet..."

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply