Strange glitch ?

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I cancelled a sale when the buyer didn't realise it was pick up only. Sorted.

Then yesterday I get an Paypal email telling me the buyer has paid for the cancelled sale. They didn't pay for the sale originally, & I can't imagine they could pay for it now. The relisted item is still selling.

I have contacted the supposed buyer to alert them but have heard nothing yet.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Do I contact EBay or Paypal or leave it to the buyer?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Strange glitch ?

tarie
Community Member

May be buyer is still interested in the item. Wait until buyer contacts you and explain what has happened.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

But the relisted item is still current - I have one sold & one listed & there is only 1! Weird.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

Could be a mistake when the buyer went through Checkout to purchase another item. When you press Pay Now, all items that you have purchased and not paid for - including cancelled ones - are all there unless you have hidden them in your purchase history, and you have to prexx the <<X>> to remove them every time you go through checkout.  

So you can press Pay Only This Seller for the item you want to pay for, but if you press the big Blue CONTINUE Button on the right, then they all get paid for.  Easy mistake if you're not paying close attention.

I would message them to confirm it was a mistake, and then refund them minus the paypal fees.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

Thanks, that seems to be the likely reason. How do I refund? I've never done that before. & do I foot the fees? I have messaged them but have heard nothing. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

You can refund from paypal, it will show up in ebay.

I have to say I have no idea about the final value fees as I've never been in the situation where I've had to cancel a transaction twice! 

You will have been charged a 30 cent transaction fee from paypal that you won't get back.  It's only fair that you don't refund this to the buyer, however if you don't refund the full amount I'm not sure whether you can get your FVF back from ebay.... ????

Ummmm.... Hopefully someone knowledgeable will answer, otherwise a tiresome phone call to ebay might be needed.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

30c? Are you serious? My time is worh enough that taking the time to type in the refund amount less the 30c would cost more than just hitting the full refund button.

FVFs are paid whn an item sells so if the fee refund has already been given it is very unlikely they will be charged again.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

I certainly won't worry about 30 c but it is a pain this can happen - there should something that prevents it? If it's refunded can they then repurchase it again if they press pay all? 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Strange glitch ?

Yes PJ it is always enlightening to hear an update about what your time is worth.  Personally my mental arithmetic and touch typing ability are at such lightening speeds, changing the refund amount is seriously less effort than breathing.

LOL

In principle the seller has been charged for someone else's mistake.  I was trying to give a full answer to the question.  And "being unlikely" to be charged FVF again is not the same as saying it won't be charged - would be much better to know that for sure.  If the item is paid through the ebay gateway, then surely the system would pick it up??  If not, what a great loophole to avoid FVF with buyers you might be on good terms with!!!

OP - your invoice from ebay will show whether you have been charged FVF again.  Just keep checking over the next few days and phone ebay if it shows up.

Can the buyer pay again?  Probably! LOL

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply