Strange recent drop in listings?

I have had a specific saved search for many years and check it probably 6 nights a week.

Using the exact same search last night & tonight, I have seen a dramatic drop in the new listings being displayed as I have the search set up to show "most recent" listings first.

It has always varied between 7 & 10 pages of results (50 items per page) before I start seeing the listings I saw the previous night.

So, last night I was surprised to only see 3 1/2 pages of items that have been listed since I last searched on Friday night.

Tonight it is only just above 3 pages...

I have tried 2 different computers and 3 different browsers and all give the same result.

Has everyone gone AWOL, or is Ebay having yet another glitch ( a term I loathe regarding  Ebay since in my opinion a glitch is a random & very infrequent site malfunction when the reality is that Ebay has many more site stuffups than all of the rest of my internet use put together).

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Strange recent drop in listings?

My saved searches items have dropped a bit over the last few months, possibly due to sellers pulling out or because of shipping problems with COVID. But they haven't fallen as much as yours.

I look every couple of days or so, but tonight's searches were pretty much as normal.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

COVID is/was and continues to be a factor. Supplies of sme many items are currently held up or not available in a ton of fields

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

eBay Tinkering in Collectibles Is Last Straw for UK Seller (ecommercebytes.com)

one of the comments from ^^ link:

Along with eBay's crushing of the categories and adding worthless attributes, in one fell sweep they ruined millions of saved searches for buyers!  That alone has cost sellers a ton of sales.

I had a few of my very specific searches ruined, and suddenly I was just getting everything in the new master category in my search.  Did I try to fix my searches to be meaningful again?  Nope!  I just deleted them.  Too much work. Me and a million other collectors!

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I should have said that my search parameters are set to used only, so covid & shipping problems should have only a tiny impact.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@five_eyes,

If your search is for (or includes) used items listed by overseas sellers, COVID-19 issues will still affect that search. Ditto for shipping problems. It isn't only new items that are being shipped. The Shanghai port issue also has a flow-on effect with cargo ships and other ports worldwide because a glut in any part of the global delivery system will cause repercussions throughout the whole system. The whole thing slows down, or grinds to a halt in some cases, or creates unnecessary problems, or results in increased shipping costs due to alternative shipping / cargo routes / delivery methods.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply