Stupid eBay email.

Get a higher level of protection

It's been more than a year since you last updated your personal info.
Keeping your personal info up to date can help better protect your account.
Sound like a good idea? All you have to do is go to eBay and take a look at your personal info to confirm that it's still correct. If you updated your personal info recently, please ignore this reminder.

How how is that going to give me a higher level of protection? What a load of codswallup.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Stupid eBay email.

Your number is 0.......

that converts, correctly, to +61.......

+61 is the prefix for Australian mobiles, and the 0 gets dropped. If the rest of the number is correct it is fine.

It is just converting your number to an international standard, it is how you would dial it from overseas. +61, to start, drop the 0, the rest the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

i get them emails sent to my "spam box". next will be "report phishing" Robot Very Happy

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I skimmed through it and deleted it.

same

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Me too.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

If your account is hacked or details stolen, it can be easier and fast to prove who you are if your details are correct.

If theres any legal issues between yourself, ebay and or a buyer - easier to prove who you are with correct details.

Ive had accounts on other sites and with other companies with out of date addresses (Ive had... 20?) and names (Ive had three), and it can be a pain in the ass trying to prove you are you, when they require something more than an email confirmation.  My mother actually has serious issues with that type of thing before she died, and had to hire a lawyer.  

While it could be for many things, and partly, obviously so your details remain correct for Ebay, one of those things is your protection.

Curious... why did you think they ask you to check your details?? 

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Agree with all you said. It's not a higher level of protection, though, that is misleading. It's a higher level of convenience. Up-to-date info means, easier to sort an issue...eBay should, have been clear about that and not call it something it isn't.

The implication of a "higher level", is that it is stronger security. After eBay's password fiasco.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Saazi it's not that they asked for update details it's the misleading title and way it is written that bothers me. I still don't see how it is going to protect my account with a higher level.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

I've lived in the same house with the same address for 42 years, have had the same email address since 1996, so there is nothing that needs to be updated.

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Same rubbish as the "20 questions" that sometimes pops up after logging in - as long as I can get around that irritating popup (face it eBay, it's nothing more) to my Selling/Sold page without having my account suspended I will.

Now, if I could have my old pre-Google YouTube account back without having to create a Google or G+ account (which is why my YouTube account was blocked in the first place), I would be glad to log in there one last time so I can actually close it for good, if that's what Google wants.
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

I never fill out those questions either. I just keep clicking later. If the later option isn't there, I hit the back button and try to login again. Either the pop up doesn't appear, or the later option is back.

As for the updating details, I have been in the same house since before eBay existed. I've had the same email address since before I joined eBay. I don't need to update anything. Unless they have been fiddling with details, then there is no reason why mine wouldn't be correct.

Plus what Harley said, updating details does NOTHING to increase security on your account. Regularly changing your password does. I don't regret ignoring that email. In the event that I ever decide to move, I will change my details then, at the same time I update everything else that needs changing.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply