Suggested Postage costs by eBay??

Howdy all...OK, so I've been selling on here for a few years on and off now, but I list via Auctiva, so am not familiar with eBays Turbo Lister options and stuff...

Anyhoo.... I recently bid on and won some kids snowboarding lots for 99c, with $9.95 or thereabouts postage. Won and paid for on The 8th.

I get a message today from the seller asking that I pay $19.00 as eBay 's default postage was incorrect.

Can someone explain ths to me please?

As a seller who has in the past had to suck it up and absorb differences of up to $14 in under quoted postage, I'm a bit annoyed to be honest.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Suggested Postage costs by eBay??

*boots
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

What did the postage say on the listing?

That is all you are obliged to pay and ebay does not set the postage prices as you would know by when you enter the postage cost when doing the listing.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Postage:

AU $9.90 Standard Postage

That is what postage shows and that is all you have to pay.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks Sparkz. I realise even with the $19 postage the boots are a bargain....it's just the principle of the thing. I just wanted to clarify the bit re "eBay's default postage" as I wasn't aware there was such a thing.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

There is no such thing as ebay default postage. The seller has either included fixed rate postage or calculated postage.

With calculated postage they would need to enter the weight and measurement of the item, and the postage would vary depending on the buyer's postcode.

I use both and have never had an issue with either except when Australia Post have increased postage rates and there has been a delay in ebay updating their postage calculator/link to Australia Post's calculator.

The seller has most likely entered a fixed rate of postage, or entered the wrong weight/dimensions for the item.

In any event as a seller you can't ask a buyer to pay the additional postage if you make a mistake. As a buyer you bid/buy based on an expectation that postage will be as specified in the listing. I had a laugh a couple of days ago as I listed a $2.50 item and must have accidentally marked it as free post. It sold within hours and I had to fork out the $6.95 in postage.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

LOL YEP! Been there, done that! Thanks guyS Smiley Happy  I appreciate your taking time to answer me x

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

genrel
Community Member

This is not the sellers fault. There is a problem with calculated prices not showing the correct amount to the buyer. It is just showing a local delivery price for the area of the seller to all buyers anywhere in Australia. I don't know if Ebay is aware of this or not but it is causing confusion and problems. I've had one buyer in NSW tell me an item which should have shown for $15.25 instead showed as $8.95 which is a local delivery rate. This needs attention asap.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

There is a massive issue with the postage calculator its not working effectivly, items are comming up with incorrect postage all the time,

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hmmmmm...OK, so is this postage calculator the be all and end all, or can sellers override it? 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply