Suggestions for an eCommerce store

Hello fellow eBayers.

I came on to see if I was the only one whose sales have literally stopped completely over the last week which is a first for me and it seems eBay is playing games yet again.

Having been solely on eBay selling for over 11 years now I believe it’s time to obtain my own website. I will still remain on eBay however the amount of fees I pay to them and the poor way I feel I get treated by their customer service when needed I feel it’s time for a bit of a change.

What I would really like is to know if any of you have your own website and who you are with. I have been doing a lot of research and now I am just confused. Volusion, shopify, bigcommerce? I would really like eBay inventory integration and to stay away from the whole % of sales fee. I am leaning towards bigcommerce but still undecided.

If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, experiences or feedback about what works well, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Suggestions for an eCommerce store

@surfsupaustralia wrote:

Hello fellow eBayers.

I came on to see if I was the only one whose sales have literally stopped completely over the last week which is a first for me and it seems eBay is playing games yet again.

Having been solely on eBay selling for over 11 years now I believe it’s time to obtain my own website. I will still remain on eBay however the amount of fees I pay to them and the poor way I feel I get treated by their customer service when needed I feel it’s time for a bit of a change.

What I would really like is to know if any of you have your own website and who you are with. I have been doing a lot of research and now I am just confused. Volusion, shopify, bigcommerce? I would really like eBay inventory integration and to stay away from the whole % of sales fee. I am leaning towards bigcommerce but still undecided.

If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, experiences or feedback about what works well, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have been with eBay since 2003 and dabbled in selling but returned a few months ago in the hopes of making my businesses fulltime and I was shocked at the difference. There were always gripes on the boards about fees, listing violations and powersellers but now it is a totally different ballgame.

Now sales seem to be affected by the 'algorhythm du jour' and theres nothing you can do about it. I am in the process of migrating to websites, and I too found it confusing!   I took up trials on a few sites but settled on Shopify. I didn't trial Big Commerce but I did read a lot of reviews that said it was not as intuitive to set up, also because Shopify is much larger and templates are better. Bear in mind I'm not integrating my listings, I have imported them but will not be merging inventory etc, so I don't know how the two compare. I did have to add a couple of free apps from Shopify to set up, (importing eBay listings and adding a Facebook store) which I believe are already included in Big Commerce.

Volusion was very disappointing simply because of the multiple emails and phone calls I got during my trial, they really try to push you into a subscription from day 1.

Anyway I am very much a novice when it comes to building websites, and I have only done a soft launch to allow me to direct my Facebook customers to somewhere they can pay, but so far so good.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

definitely worthwhile doing. I used Weebly to build my website (it;s not open source though) they provide everything you need to make an ecommerce website. I pay 29.95 per month atm for a business account, but if you pay 2 years upfront, it works out to be 19.95usd per month.

The website took me about 2 weeks to set up.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Check your messages love - Sandra 🙂

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, I found volusion very disappointing also due to the pushy nature of them and did just try Shopify trial. It imported well and can see a clean up is needed before going live but more investigation needed on my part there. Thanks for your advice.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Thankyou for the Weebly suggestion. I did not even consider them and will look into it further as their pricing and what they offer is great!
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I have no messages Sandra 😞
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

+1 for Weebly.
I used them for a while until I built a more sustainable one. I moved away from weebly only because back then they didn't have a shipping option (but I'm sure they have one now).

If you're a little tech savvy, you can try to build your own website. I'm currently using Open Cart which is an open source CMS. Easy to install. I'm not sure about eBay integration, but perhaps there's a plugin for it. The good thing about this is that there's no monthly fees or limitations on how many items you can list/sell. You only need to pay for the domain name and host.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

It's there darling - the bay hasn't messed with it which is a surprise lol - oh, and I meant your eBay messages 🙂

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Yes well maybe they have messed with it because I have not received any messages today. Very strange but lol.... yeah!
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply