Supposed damaged item

10todd86
Community Member
Hi

I am relatively new to selling on eBay.

I sold an item earlier this month completely brand new in a fully sealed box. My ad clearly stated no refunds accepted.

The buyer is now claiming they opened the box to see the tablet had a cracked screen and is suggesting the box was opened.

I need advice on what to do from here, my gut tells me she has over spent for Christmas and only wants a refund now.

What to do? Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Supposed damaged item

Did the buyer pay with Paypal?

If they did, and they open an item not as described claim, they will need to return the item to you at their expense, tracked, but they will be likely to get the refund if they prove the damage.

Did the buyer send you a photo of the screen? If not, ask for one.

Is it possible the item was damaged in the post? If it was, then look into a postal insurance claim (if you sent it with any cover).

I haven't been in that situation, but those are things to think about.

Paypal's number is 1800-073-263, if it was a Paypal payment it may be a good idea to talk to them about your rights and obligations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I don't think it looks good from your side, as you say it was unopened, it is possible the screen may actually have been cracked and not fit for use.

Ask them to file a claim through paypal (they will need to send the item back to you) and take it from there.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Also it is not a good idea to go "crazy" at a customer (not saying you did or anything just somthing to consider). Most things can be sorted with a couple of emails (in your case though I guess not). I always hated the saying "the customer is always right" and still do.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

As far as any claim against Aust Post, you might be in trouble if you posted an item with a lithium battery without a "road transport only" sticker bcause they can't go by air.

As far as the box being opened, do you have a photo of it sealed - I know it's not proof, but may help your case if the buyer is claiming you had previously opened it.

I'd also ask why it took so long for them to discover the problem. Even if I bought something as a gift for some future date, I'd still be checking it as soon as it arrived to make sure everything was okay - especially if bought online!

In respect of  "no refunds accepted", it doesn't matter what you said - under Aust Consumer law (and eBay rules), goods sold must be fit for the purpose they are sold for unless sold as not working etc.

To qualify for a refund under Paypal, she wil have to return the goods to you by trackable means first, so my advice would be for her to lodge an "Item not as described" claim via Paypal and let it run its course that way. She'll have to return the item so damage can be proven.

Cheers,

Marina.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

No refunds appies to change of mind situations, not to faulty or wrongly described goods. If you sent it double boxed with a road only sticker then you may have some luck if you ask the buyer to take it with the packaging to their PO and ask if they can put in a claim however unless you paid for signature required you would not get back more tha fifty bucks even if AP did decide it was their fault, SOG ups the cover to $100, over that you have to have paid for extra cover.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

10todd86
Community Member
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have asked her to send me photos of the damage and will get her to lodge a PayPal claim.

I'm a little frustrated that there is no way I can prove it was not opened when I sent it, but I guess that is a downfall of using

Once this transaction is closed I will block this buyer as I do not wish to deal with her again
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply