Suspect account hack, price changed.

mcbaj
Community Member

Hey there. 

I suspect my account was hacked, or eBay is playing some funny games. 

I come back in after our long weekend to find that my top selling product is all but out of stock, I check it out, and the price had been changed on it from $57 to $9.50!!!! 

I am the only person able to access this account, and i have touched anything, except for anwer a couple of message via my phone.

Do I have any right here to refuse the sales on these items? If I have to, I have to, but being such a small business this is going to hurt the weekends takings drastically.

I've shut my store down too temporaliy just so I can check on every item. Seems weired that its only one itme i have found so far, and it was our fastest mover.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Suspect account hack, price changed.

As mentioned above...

Before you change passwords you need to do a scan of your computer for viruses or malicious software (Malware) like keystroke loggers.

If these things are present on your computer then changing passwords will achieve nothing and just be logged and sent out to the same hackers.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks guys.

I was thinking today whether it was a wifi/ internet hack at my end. I have checked the a/v etc etc, changed passwords on everything aswell just incase.

I think rocket2retro might be on the money. Might. As I have narrowed it down to the price change happening on Friday arvo after work, around 4pm I think.I wasn't even there at that time... Friday afternoon funnies happening maybe???

I will also add that I have had a long ongoing issue with eBay showing incorrect postage rates too. E.g, I have free postage on an items and when I look it up , it only shows the express post option, unless you actually click on the item, it shows different. Linked somehow, not sure. 

But I have sent messages out to all customers involved, I explained what has happened, and offered a discount and free express post. All so far have been understanding.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Well some weird stuff does happen very often on Fridays, but we have never seen anything permanent like this before.

The incorrect postage showing on search results is known and has been happening for a while. This is due to the search engine not recognising FREE postage correctly. And you get the result showing postage for one of your postage options instead e.g. cost of Express. This could put buyers off as they will see it as very high postage and not bother to visit the listing where they will see it correctly.

To "fix" (compensate for) this error you have to uncheck the Free Postage option in your postage policy and replace it with $0.00. The end result is the same but the software recognises it and displays postage properly. See the screen shot below for how to do it.

Postage.JPG

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Have you spoken with eBay ?

What was their response ?

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@mcbaj wrote:

As I have narrowed it down to the price change happening on Friday arvo after work, around 4pm I think.I wasn't even there at that time... Friday afternoon funnies happening maybe???

I will also add that I have had a long ongoing issue with eBay showing incorrect postage rates too. E.g, I have free postage on an items and when I look it up , it only shows the express post option, unless you actually click on the item, it shows different. Linked somehow, not sure. 

Revisions to listings are recorded on the listing, at the time they occurred - the last revision is on the main listing page, with a link to view all revisions, so you should be able to get an exact date and time AEST (right down to the second the revision was submitted). If there is no revision recorded by eBay's system to account for the price change, then it would make it more likely to be a system error.

A couple of years ago, I saw a bunch of DVDs in a store selling at $1 (it started with a few, then over the next few hours, hundreds of DVDs in the store were updated to $1 BIN). I bought a few, but the more I thought about it the more I though something wasn't quite right, so messaged the seller - apparently, they were using a third party listing tool and it had caused a store-wide glitch. I was happy to cancel etc, but sadly they did get a few negs from other buyers. 

In situations where technical issues affect auctions (eg the site goes down and many items can't have bids placed before they end), eBay issue notice that sales can be cancelled and adverse feedback may be removed, so if this is found to be a site issue, they should afford the same courtesies (should and will are two different things, though).  

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Excellent advice DG, as always.

I had forgotten about the revision history on each and every listing.

I noticed too that this "View all revisions" link is also available even tho the items are on either the SOLD or UNSOLD lists.

By the way you can find it just below the images area on the main listing and just under the two tabs for Description and Postage and Payments. Also tells you there exactly when the listing was last updated.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply