Suspended Account - EBay jumping the gun again

Woke up today with my account suspended - the second time in 3 months.

Here's the story: Buyer wanted to buy some furniture.  They are new to Australia so had no trading history and my automatic blocks prevented them from bidding.  They had a UK Ebay account but I don't trade internationally so again, they couldn't bid.  The buyer said they contacted EBay to find a way around and EBay told them they would send me a message explaining how I could sell to this buyer despite the blocks I have in place.  No message received from Ebay.

The buyer even sent me their phone number and address but I messaged back saying that this was against Ebay policy and I had to proceed with the listing until they could place a bid (I got burnt with this previously so I am being ultra careful)

I asked the buyer to find a friend with an Ebay account to bid on the item.  They managed to find someone and purchased the furniture with their friend's account.

Then they contacted me to arrange delivery - but as the message did not come from the successful bidding account (it came from the original contact ID) Ebay have assumed I am trying to arrange a sale outside of Ebay.   And bingo - I get suspended.

I tried very hard not to shout, but the EBay customer service representative was in no doubt about my mood this morning.  They didn't even ask me to explain, they just read all the messages, came back 2 minutes later, apologised and lifted the suspension.  I now have to relist all the listings they took down.

Its gone beyond funny.  I have to double check all my messages to potential buyers now in case the BOTS are watching

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I asked the buyer to find a friend with an Ebay account to bid on the item.

Bad mistake.  Also against ebay policy to use another account to bypass blocks.

If ebay read that, then I'm surprised they lifted the ban

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

• If you're blocked from bidding on a seller's listings, you cannot bid using another user ID.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

It would have been quicker and simpler to just exempt them from your blocks.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Sorry to hear about all of your suspensions.

Good to see that they have been lifted.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I would read that to mean another of your own EBay accounts - i.e. another user ID that is linked to that buyer.  People have multiple EBay accounts.

I was suggesting they have a friend make the bid - I am then dealing with a buyer who does not have the issues that blocked the original purchaser.  I am then protected from those issues.  And Ebay get a sale.   Win Win

My mistake, as I see it, is that I still communicated with the original Ebayer when I should have communicated with the person who made the purchase.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Can you exempt a specific buyer?  I thought the blocks applied to my account so if I lift them they are lifted on every listing for every potential buyer?  I wouldn't want to do that, even for a short time.  But if I can exempt a specific User ID I would be interested in hearing how to do that.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Buyer Requirements Activity Log The Buyer Requirements Activity Log displays the eBay members who have been blocked from bidding on or purchasing your items over the past 60 days as a result of the buyer requirements you have selected. Access this log as follows: In My eBay, under the My Account column, click the "Preferences" link. In the Seller Preferences section, click the “Buyer Requirements Activity Log” link. The table shows you who has been blocked, the date they were blocked, and which buyer requirement caused the block, among other data. Use this information to understand how your selected buyer requirements are impacting your business. You can allow specific eBay members to bid on or purchase your items regardless of any requirement(s) you select by adding them to your buyer requirements exemption list from the activity log page: In My eBay, under the My Account column, click the "Preferences" link. In the Seller Preferences section, click the “Buyer Requirements Activity Log” link. Click the checkbox next to the eBay Member(s) you would like to exempt. Click the “Exempt from Buyer Requirements” button at the bottom of the page. Note: You may see an asterisk (*) in place of a user ID in the Buyer Requirement Activity Log because eBay cannot disclose certain user IDs in accordance with our User Privacy Notice and User Agreement. In this situation, you will be unable to add those members to your Buyer Requirements Exemption List.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Could they have not used their original UK account and changed their address to their new Australian Address as your sales only allow Australian Buyers?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I suspect as this was 2 years ago, it has either being resolved or forgotten

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply