Table sold for pickup no returns, buyer accepted item on pickup but now doesn't want it.

urbuying
Community Member

Hi when I moved interstate in April I gave my grandson an antique slate pool/dining table and accessories which had failed to sell on ebay in 2018. He had to move house so I put it up a week ago at less than half price. It naturally sold as a complete bargain, the buyer paid ebay into escrow and came to pick it up a few days ago. My grandson says she and her husband  examined it closely before taking it, said OK that will do, loaded it onto a trailer and took it for a couple of hours up country. Now she has decided she doesn't want it.

Apparently  I (remotely as i couldn't see the table) gave the wrong dimensions (8' instead of 7'), and put up pictures from the 2018 listing which didn't show some recent insect damage to the felt. She says it isnt what she wants - though having examined it before taking it, she must have been well aware of the size and condition. It was also less than half price.

Things have changed since I last sold anything. Seems you now need a mobile phone and buyer is supposed to give you a six digit number on pickup. This of course did not happen. I doubt very much she will give me the number now. 

What will happen? There's no chance of getting it back from the country. Will I just lose the table and the money in escrow? 

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Table sold for pickup no returns, buyer accepted item on pickup but now doesn't want it.

If she doesn't want it, she needs to return it to you.

If she is angling for a refund because they suddenly "found" insect damage, then that is a different story.

They had a chance to double check everything including measurements before taking it, so this just sounds like a change of mind issue.

And yes, there is now a pickup code if people pay via Paypal etc.

Cash on pickup would have been the best way to go.

What has the buyer actually asked for? If she wants a refund, she doesn't get to keep the item as well.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Your listing stated 'No returns'

That means no return for change of mind.

If the buyer simply changed their mind and you stated in your listing that you don't accept returns, you're not obliged to accept their return request. See our article on how to handle a return request as a seller for more information.

Offering local pickup | eBay

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply