Telephone scammers watching ebay or simply coincidence??

trishreid88
Community Member

I am wondering if telephone scammers are watching ebay and other popular sites and if so, I wonder how many victims fell for it.
As we all know by now ebay had major issues on Friday.
The funny thing was that within seconds of the first major glitches showing for me, my phone rang with some OS guy telling me that my computer was comming up with an error message on the internet. Now I know not to fall for these scams but I played along for a little bit to see whay he had to say. He asked if I was using my computer and internet at the moment. To which I replied that I was. He repeated that my computer was showing an error message so I asked what error message was showing and he wanted me to press ctrl something something so he could show me. Obviously I didn't do this and I asked him again to tell me what error message was showing to him. He then said something I couldn't understand but he did mention ebay. At this point I told him I was tracing the call and I hung up.

So now I am left to wonder if this was purely coincidental in the timing or these types of scammers are watching and waiting for sites like ebay to have glitches. I realy hope no one fell for it, although in this day and age you would have to be pretty nieve or just plain stupid not to know of these scams.
What do you think, are the on the look out for these problems or just a coincidence?

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Telephone scammers watching ebay or simply coincidence??

Not coincidence that they mentioned ebay but of course they would know there was a global problem so would add that to their usual script to try and appear genuine.

I managed to keep one of them on the line for 20 minutes once playing dumb and telling them all about my new windows, double glazing, hardwood frames etc LOL.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply