Thanks EBay for turning out the lights this Christams

Merry Christmas E-bay for being the Grinch yet again at this time of the year... the last week of Christmas has been woeful..i list over 250+ items and not once did i sell over 20 items per month during the year .why didn't i sell 50 a month at least once? why?..selling limits I'm told..but Ebay comes back at me and says it's not in our interests if you sell less because we don't make money...whatever the case this set up is rigged big league..Merry Christmas to the Grinch that is EBay..turn the lights on its Christmastime !!!!!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Thanks EBay for turning out the lights this Christams

It seems to be common knowledge that eBay has a bad habit of turning people's lights off. Sometimes the lights will be on in some locations, and off in others. Even as a non store seller I believe I have trouble with the lights (it was thought that it only happened to stores). The reason I think it also happens to me is, one of my accounts can be running red hot, while the other that has some of the same items, cheaper, will get no views at all.

I also have runs on locations. This last week all my sales have been to SA and WA. The week before it was NSW and Vic. I can't understand why they turn lights off because if stuff doesn't sell, they are making no fees off them. I suppose for stores they still get the monthly store fee, but for non stores like myself, they get nothing if I don't sell.

I had a look at some of your listings and I can't see why they wouldn't be selling. You've got plenty of stuff there that people would be interested in. I noticed a couple that could increase the search power if you added to the title. The coca cola ties, I'd probably add "coke" to the title because some people might search for coke rather than coca cola. The other one was the Pan American baggage labels, I'd probably add Pan Am to the title if there is room, in case that's the term the buyer puts in the search.

Hopefully in the new year when the big names have finished their sales the lights will shine bright again!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It seems to be common knowledge that eBay has a bad habit of turning people's lights off. Sometimes the lights will be on in some locations, and off in others. Even as a non store seller I believe I have trouble with the lights (it was thought that it only happened to stores). The reason I think it also happens to me is, one of my accounts can be running red hot, while the other that has some of the same items, cheaper, will get no views at all.

I also have runs on locations. This last week all my sales have been to SA and WA. The week before it was NSW and Vic. I can't understand why they turn lights off because if stuff doesn't sell, they are making no fees off them. I suppose for stores they still get the monthly store fee, but for non stores like myself, they get nothing if I don't sell.

I had a look at some of your listings and I can't see why they wouldn't be selling. You've got plenty of stuff there that people would be interested in. I noticed a couple that could increase the search power if you added to the title. The coca cola ties, I'd probably add "coke" to the title because some people might search for coke rather than coca cola. The other one was the Pan American baggage labels, I'd probably add Pan Am to the title if there is room, in case that's the term the buyer puts in the search.

Hopefully in the new year when the big names have finished their sales the lights will shine bright again!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

A couple of months ago I had some good OS sales and thought the exchange rate was bringing them in.

I geared up and adapted for more OS sales.

Now nothing for 6 weeks or so..........

Running goal posts with on/off store lights just makes life very hard on ebay.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

it is exactly this manipulation which will see me winding down my store in the new year

I cannot continue to attempt running a business on this site

not that I can call it a business anymore ... more like a hobby lol

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@rachelle011273 wrote:

it is exactly this manipulation which will see me winding down my store in the new year

I cannot continue to attempt running a business on this site

not that I can call it a business anymore ... more like a hobby lol

I feel for anyone where this is their main source of income. It's so volatile, it would be quite frightening at times wondering if the power bill is going to get paid or not, or whether you can afford to eat this week. I did actually think a few months ago that I might drop a day a week at work and concentrate that day into eBay, but I changed my mind pretty quickly. I'm reading too many horror stories on here.

About 6 months ago I was at work one night and my phone was going nuts with sales. I think I made about $400 that night and I was gloating to my colleagues. A few said that I should give up work and do that full time. NO WAY!!!! That would be instant suicide. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I earn enough on here to pay the bills (just), so more of my pay packet stays in my pocket. That will do me for now.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

currently my world, the stress is just not worth it ... thankfully my husband has a consistent job of which I am also looking to find as soon as possible
my advice stick with a consistent paying job and run ebay as a sideline hobby, bonus income when you do have rapid sales
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Same here. Probably look at closing my store next month after quite a few years selling on eBay. Sad and disappointed.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

sorry to hear that ... hope you manage to have a good christmas
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I've had a similar phenomenon with locations lately - despite being a Melbourne seller, almost everything this month has been sent to Queensland or WA; it's almost like they want me to pay the absolute maximum possible in order to send everything that is over 500g!
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply