The old offering free postage and bundling problem

I was an idiot and gave in to eBay's constant pestering automated emails about offering free postage as a way to enhance my exposure in search result.  As my sales have ground to a halt over the past few months, I thought I'd give it a try.  To my surprise, I had one sale earlier today and then another 7 - to one person.

I don't want to have to roll up 7 posters into 7 tubes addressed to the same person and put them all through individually at the post office.  I can easily bundle them all into one tube for the price of a single poster's postage weight bracket, as I have normally done in the past.

When I send the invoice, putting in -50.00 (for example) into the "Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):" field and then clicking recaculate had no effect.  (That field has always seemed useless anyway?)

So I'm thinking I tell the buyer I will refund them (after they pay) for the 6 overpaid postage amounts, minus eBay's 10% fees on the postage components for each item.

A stupid situation to be in, and a smart buyer could argue they shouldn't have to pay such excess to begin with and that they shouldn't have to cover the fees on each item.  I know they agreed to the sale prices by committing to buy the items and they haven't requested an invoice yet or paid, so I think they are just as stuck as I am.

Any advice appreciated... thank you.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: The old offering free postage and bundling problem

Hi Guys,

well I am new to muliple sales of anything to one person: So here goes:

I have several items online that are similar but different ( same weight, size diff image , flat)  each has a postage cost:

a potential buyer wants 4 of the items , which could easily be posted in the same package as they are flat.

How does the buyer buy each one individually and how do I "Bundle" the items under one postage cost as I see a lot of sellers dsay they can do ?

regards

Peter

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Get him to put them in the cart and click 'Request an Invoice'.

If that doesn't work, as it possibly won't, set up a single listing for items he wants, with the correct postage.

I do it as a BIN with best offer enabled, and set the BIN way higher than the agreed price. That stops gazumpers. The buyer then makes me an offer for the agreed price, I accept, they pay, I post. It's a bit of mucking around, but if eBay's system won't allow the buyer to request an invoice, it is probably the easiest workaround.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

You could make a listing just for that buyer, don't put any photos in and have a high BIN with "best offer" enabled, that let the buyer have the item number of the listing.

Edit. G'day dave - beat me to it again..............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Edit. G'day dave - beat me to it again..............

Understandable. You are always behind over there. I see you've been using your keyboard cleaner again.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

You are always behind over there.

What, compared to Eastern States Fantasy Times ?     

Spoiler
...........all 4 of them...............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 15 of 15
Latest reply