This has to stop..

This listing was promoted by eBay in the "Trending" section on the home page of the app.

The thumbnail states it is "100% AU STOCK" when the seller is in Malaysia. They've blatantly mislead people on the price by adding a $1.00 variation which is just of an image stating that it's out of stock.

This is far too common and the reason Australian sellers are struggling. You should not be able to decieve people on the price or location of an item so easily. There are 100's of these accounts all with 100,000+ feedback so they have been getting away with it for a long time.

eBay might be getting a lot of revenue from these sellers now but before long they will become renowned for being the online equivalant of those dusty, old market stands pedalling cheap chinese, inferior and counterfit goods and no one will shop here anymore.

Please do something about this!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This has to stop..

Agree 100%...

There are way too many sellers that state location as Australia, but then just dropship cheap stuff from China or where ever else they are.

But they usually have feedbacks into the hundreds of thousands, so good luck in clamping down on them.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

Those sneaky buggers! Smiley Surprised

I was actually confused by the listing at first, because if a variation is out of stock, that variation's price won't display, but what they've actually done is name a variation -Select- like it first appears in the dropdown menu (there are actually 3 'Selects' listed as in stock, which is how the listing will still appear at the lowest $1 price. This means they have an intangible item for sale, which - if nothing else is - is a clear breach of eBay policy. Cat Frustrated (I realise others may have seen this tactic before, but I haven't, I've only seen the more 'traditional' bait and switch ones). 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

@digital*ghost wrote:

I was actually confused by the listing at first, because if a variation is out of stock, that variation's price won't display, but what they've actually done is name a variation -Select- like it first appears in the dropdown menu (there are actually 3 'Selects' listed as in stock, which is how the listing will still appear at the lowest $1 price. This means they have an intangible item for sale, which - if nothing else is - is a clear breach of eBay policy. Cat Frustrated (I realise others may have seen this tactic before, but I haven't, I've only seen the more 'traditional' bait and switch ones). 

The top word 'select' was showing more than 10 in stock for me. More must have arrived in their warehouse.Smiley Wink

But the bottom word 'select' was showing a photo saying out of stock, out of stock.

I could not find anything in the list that was actually $1.

I find ads like that very annoying, it would turn me off buying from them.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

@springyzone wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

This means they have an intangible item for sale, which - if nothing else is - is a clear breach of eBay policy. Cat Frustrated (I realise others may have seen this tactic before, but I haven't, I've only seen the more 'traditional' bait and switch ones). 

But the bottom word 'select' was showing a photo saying out of stock, out of stock.

I could not find anything in the list that was actually $1.

I find ads like that very annoying, it would turn me off buying from them.

It's not just that listing as they have it on other listings as well and it's a clear breach of the search & browse

policy,(manipulation to be on the first few pages of search results).

Report via the report link on the listing,(above the item number):

Listing practices  > Search and browse manipulation > Other search and browse manipulation

It will then state: The listing inappropriately draws attention or diverts members to a listing.

Which as what they are doing by listing an item at a low price but that item is not in the variations,(others

can be reported the same way as the list a low cost item that's not in the listing tile as the "bait" item),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

There is hope?ok.gif

We are very familiar with this search manipulation strategy from sellers and this is one of the

problems that our Listing Removal department is currently fixing.

So they are working on it?,Who knows.gif

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

Could the "Too Hard Basket" have just become a bit fuller Taz??????

You'd hope not because this practice really needs stamping out.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

This has to stop..

Unfortunately for us these Asian sellers can do no wrong in EBay's eyes.

It was because of the majority of the above we now get slapped with postage fees as well because they would list items for $1 with ridiculous high shipping charges.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply