This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

Well this is a doosey but feel i will loose out. Buyer purchased a Large Wooden coffee table which was pick up only in AUGUST 2015 - They were a little slow in picking item up but all finalised in the end. Paid with Paypal and obviously through their credit card. I have now had a case opened against me for a dispute on payment by Paypal for the payment of the coffee table.  - More than 6 months later. Of course the listing is no longer accesible. Paypal requesting tracking details for the item. Yeah write when it is pick up only. I did manage to find an old email about details for collection but that is all I could find. I will ring Paypal today and question their reasoning for the case against me - 6 months later.  In addition I have tracked down the buyers Id and sent a explicit email through ebay messages. Wasted over and hour of my life for an idiot that cannot remember a transaction. Will try and fight this to the end if it is not resolved in my favour,. Got to say the buyer on collection was a blonde dippy bimbo and this does sort of prove it. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

It's not Paypal who is disputing the transaction, they are just the middle man.  The buyer is the one who has instigated a charge-back, they do that with Paypal because that is how the transaction was processed.  In some cases the bank does it off their own bat if the expenditure seems out of character for the customer, but this far down the track that seems unlikely as they usually act quite quickly after the purchase.  The buyer may simply have been looking at CC statements and seen an amount and name they didn't recognise and forgot what it was.  Let Paypal know it was a pickup purchase and that the buyer themselves came and picked it up, and upload a copy of the email arranging pickup to the dispute console.  Paypal will send all the relevant info to the bank and it is they who will make the decision.  You may have a chance, as it would be hard for the buyer to maintain the transaction was unauthorised if they picked up in person.

I have one at the moment for a $7 posted item, which has been pending for over 6 weeks.  I contacted the buyer when I got the chargeback email, and she sad the bank made a mistake and she had told them to withdraw it.  I uploaded that message along with all the relevant info including glowing feedback left by the buyer, but apparently the bank are still saying it was unauthorised, and the buyer has called them again to get it canceled.  I will not be impressed if I get a $15 charge-back fee over this.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 11 of 42
Latest reply

Re: This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

You are right but it is through their bank disputing the credit card transaction.

Message 12 of 42
Latest reply

Can you contact their bank and explain that they bought something from you and arrrived to collect it, then drove away with it?

Message 13 of 42
Latest reply

Not sure which bank as it is all through Paypal
Message 14 of 42
Latest reply

Found some more details on the purchaser - They run a B&B so have all their details should I not win the case, I dare say they may be getting a solicitor letter for theft/ fraud. 

Message 15 of 42
Latest reply

i also have one going on A $29 sale over 3 months ago, saying dipute over unauthorised transaction, hard work trying the find the transaction, found proof, with post receipt tracking, and tracked down the positive feed back. also taken me a hour of my time for bull **bleep**..

John

Message 16 of 42
Latest reply

Have they left you feedback? I had a similar one last year, and because they had left me good feedback their argument was rendered null & void....good luck

Message 17 of 42
Latest reply

HI - Yes I have just found their feedback originally did not think they had left feedback. Just sent of to PayPal in addition to my original information. 

My feelings are if Paypal are willing to accept credit cards linked to the paypal accounts they should be responsible for chargebacks to a certain degree. 

This is very time consuming and it appears from the posts is becoming more frequent for the sellers on ebay to deal with. 

I will post with the outcome of the case and thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion which I am sure has been beneficial to us all. 

Message 18 of 42
Latest reply

This is one of the reasons we suggest if PayPal is used for pick up items to always get an ID like a drivers licence number and make a note of vehicle reg on pick up. 

Doesn't stop a chargeback being opened but certainly helps to win the case and gives PayPal proof of fraud.

I refund Paypal payments if they are picking up explaining there is no protection and most buyers just didn't know, thinking they should always pay with PayPal.

image host
Message 19 of 42
Latest reply

Two unfortunate points that are relevant to this is that there is no Seller (or Buyer) Protection from PayPal with pick up items, and that PayPal do not make the decision when it comes to a credit card chargeback (the bank does).  

I would still provide as much evidence as possible to to PayPal, but I'd take a different tactic to try and get the best result. First, I would contact the buyer and let them know you have retained all of the evidence confirming they paid for and picked up the item, and then advise that if they force a refund via PayPal, the issue will be pursued via every legal option available - that is, it will become theft, thus a full report will be submitted to ACORN (a federal agency), and they'll have X days to repay the funds before further action will be taken. (These are not empty threats, either, since you have plenty of details about the buyer's identity and proof of payment / pick-up). 

Message 20 of 42
Latest reply