This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

Well this is a doosey but feel i will loose out. Buyer purchased a Large Wooden coffee table which was pick up only in AUGUST 2015 - They were a little slow in picking item up but all finalised in the end. Paid with Paypal and obviously through their credit card. I have now had a case opened against me for a dispute on payment by Paypal for the payment of the coffee table.  - More than 6 months later. Of course the listing is no longer accesible. Paypal requesting tracking details for the item. Yeah write when it is pick up only. I did manage to find an old email about details for collection but that is all I could find. I will ring Paypal today and question their reasoning for the case against me - 6 months later.  In addition I have tracked down the buyers Id and sent a explicit email through ebay messages. Wasted over and hour of my life for an idiot that cannot remember a transaction. Will try and fight this to the end if it is not resolved in my favour,. Got to say the buyer on collection was a blonde dippy bimbo and this does sort of prove it. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

I would be on the phone with PayPal after you have uploaded all your evidence.

The email arranging pickup would seem to be the most crucial piece of the puzzle here.

On the rare occasion I have had dealings with PayPal I have found their CSR's to be far more helpful and understanding than ebay's.

You are likely to also be hit with a $15 fee because you are fighting the chargeback.

If you win it this fee should be reversed tho.

If the time since the original transaction is more than 180-days (and from what you say it seems the case) then they may have found that they could not open a PayPal case for this reason and so have chosen to go down the chargeback route thru their bank/financial institution.

This is the reason I would always advocate cash only for pickup items.

Message 21 of 42
Latest reply

Re: This one takes the cake - request for return of payment - Financial Institution

cant provide proof, as aust post imformation is over 3 monter old, just had to write more to payal.

paypal, I have provided tracking details, the transaction date was on the 6th  January, item was sent out the next working day ,tracking information don't confirm delivery because ITS OVER 3 MONTHS AGO.
buyer DID give me positive feed back !! to me thats a good indication its has been RECEIVED

paypal sux

Message 22 of 42
Latest reply

Australia Post can access tracking numbers that are older than 3 months. I'd be going to see them and getting them to print something out that you can give to PayPal.

Message 23 of 42
Latest reply

What has Australia Post tracking got to do with a PICK UP item - nothing
Message 24 of 42
Latest reply

whats it comming to when sellers will have to film hand overs/pick ups plus get a stat dec from the buyer that they are happy with the item and the price plus have it all witnessed by justice of the peace.

Message 25 of 42
Latest reply

@sparrow2207 wrote:
What has Australia Post tracking got to do with a PICK UP item - nothing

fairlaneltd POSTED their item.

One thread - 2 problems...

Message 26 of 42
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

The lesson here is DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL FOR PICKUP ONLY TRANSACTIONS. If you do, then get the licence details and a verified signature on a document that states clearly the name, address and details of the person pickup up the item agreeing that they are collecting the item in good condition and make sure that it is the same person that the paypal payment came from.

As other posters have indicated, it probably has nothing to do with paypal themselves and is most likely a credit card chargeback but the fact that they are part of the equation at all leave you vulnerable to fraud.

Credit card should only be accepted for pickup only if you have your own merchant account and then preferably by the person picking up the item paying with their card at the point of pickup.

Message 27 of 42
Latest reply

Hi all - Final update - Checked my paypal account today and case closed in favour of BUYER - even though I provided screen shots of positive feedback from buyer.  Called paypal - on hold for over 1 hour which I have to say put me in a ripe old mood. 

Asked them to explain how they could go in favour of the buyer when I provided screen shots of feedback. The answer outside their policy. As we suspected Paypal do not gurantee items that are collected. Lesson learnt on my part - Collected items CASH ONLY from now on. 

Let them now I would be taking my business elsewhere and not using paypal and would close my account. Funny they then could see my point and have refunded my the funds. 

I would have throught a buyer leaving positive feedback for an item was more verified they had the item in good order than bloody tracking numbers which does not always mean the buyer has the item!!!!! just depends on the good old posties delivering to the correct address!!!

Cheers to all who weighed in on the discussion and perhaps a lesson for many of us. 

Message 28 of 42
Latest reply

unfortunately the bad apples make us treat all the apples like they are bad.

Message 29 of 42
Latest reply

So sorry to hear this. To my understanding ( I have been known to be wrongSmiley Frustrated) but if buyers Pick up they are not protected by Paypal. Also if claiming faulty item?? ebay will ask the question to the buyer WHY so long in noticing any problems?

Do not under any circumstances allow Paypal to take your money.  Tell them they said it was OK to delivery albeit it the customer picked it up, you went by Paypal's recommendation and honoured the sale by allowing the buyer to have the table.

Tell Paypal under Australian retail laws the buyer does NOT have any recourse as it was a 2nd hand item!! Plus it doesn't take someone 6 months to discover their credit card had been used without the ownders permission.

Let Paypal know also you will be going to the financial ombudsman to tell them about this injustice. PLUS you will be reporting the matter to the police as in truth the buyer has committed a fraud if they have used someone elses credit card!!

DON'T give up... stay the course and you should have result in your favour.♥♥

** On the rare ocassion I deliver personally to customers I always have them SIGN for the item as being received, I invite them to inspect the product and note that it is in the condition as described in the listing.

I NEVER allow buyers to pick up from me ever. 

I wish you success in this sorry affair....

Message 30 of 42
Latest reply