To measure or not to measure?

So, new changes coming up on eBay November 1st.

I will be continuing as I have too much stock to get rid of.

Having a think about strategies to prevent SNADs as much as possible.

So what is the current thinking about providing measurements for garments - and maybe other stock too? I know it has come up a bit in previous discussions, but I would like to get more ideas.....

At the moment I do give mm, which I think is part of good customer service.  Now more interested in survival.  

Logically, if mm aren't given, then if there is less for the buyer to dispute?  After all, mm can be a bit arbirary if there is stretch in the fabric, or you take a waist mm from a different place than the buyer, etc etc etc.  Not saying I'm inaccurate, it's just not an exact science.

I could state in the listings for buyer to request mm instead.  This would also save alot of time and I could do listings faster.  Then if the buyer wants mm, take a photo of the item with the tape measure when I do it  <<this would be too time-consuming for every garment, I would rather rip my nails out with pliers>>

Of course I would provide mm in listings for select reasons, like a really small/large size compared to label, european or designer sizing, etc.

OR do others think that NOT giving mm will initiate more SNADs if clothes don't fit?

Do people ever read the mm anyway?

Thoughts??!!

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: To measure or not to measure?

In my opinion, just because an item of clothing doesn't fit, it should not mean a buyer is automatically entitled to a refund.

The style & cut of different garments can mean that even things that are the same sizing may not always feel or look right when you try them on.

It's a risk you take with online buying.

If a woman feels that a frock or skirt is too loose because of a half inch difference, then that style was probably one she should not have bought online as with most clothes, it wouldn't affect the fit. I suspect actually the garment must have been much more than half an inch too big if it is visibly unsuitable.

I can understand ebay would not be keen on approx measurements. I recall a thread some time ago where someone bought a buffet or some such thing that had an approx measurement that was about half a metre out, which I thought was a ridiculous discrepancy.

May be better to just photograph the tag!

Message 41 of 45
Latest reply

@saturninav71 wrote:

I sought eBay's advice about the matter, they have reviewed the emails between me and the seller, and they said I can file a complaint.

What sort of complaint did they suggest you file?

Message 42 of 45
Latest reply

They said I could 'Report the buyer', then gave me a set of instructions.

At the end of the day, I just didn't bother. I just stopped reading her emails, because I don't need the stress. I responded with two calm emails, offered a refund twice. When eBay reviewed my emails to her they said I have done all that I can to resolve the situation.

Three days after offering a refund she finally sent me a calmer email accepting my refund. I guess she needed to send me several emails venting before calming down and accepting the refund I offered in the first place. However, I'm expecting some 'interesting/spicy feedback' will follow soon... Heart

Message 43 of 45
Latest reply

One thing I am contemplating is doing what some online retailers do like JacquiE. Their size guide show ranges like size x has waist measurements xx cm to xx cm. I've seen online retailers do this kind of thing too, but honestly, I don't know if I can be bothered after this  experience. 

Message 44 of 45
Latest reply

as a tall gal living in the boonies, measurements are a godsend.

Message 45 of 45
Latest reply