Two simple reasons for the cash grab on postage.

go-tazz
Community Member

1: Other sites have had it for years so it was inevitable that they where going to do it on this site,(it doesn't

matter what reason they give/not give as it will be put in place).

2: When a buyer wants/gets a refund with the new system they will get the full cost back,(stops problems where

the seller will only return the purchase price).

So as normal this site only cares about their cashflow and their excuse that it's to stop postage pirates doesn't

stack up).

Losing an extra 9.9% on the postage cost will stop a number of sellers listing,which wont worry this site as

they'll just recruite a few more overseas sellers,(well you can never have to much cheap junk on here),shok.gif

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I'm just going to leave this here...

eBay's answer (on eBay.com) to why a low DSR for postage costs is not going to count towards Seller Standards:

"Over time, issues with shipping cost and communication response time have become less significant and less predictive of whether buyers will return. This is mainly due to increased seller efficiency and seller commitment to shipping promptly and offering free shipping. Also, buyers clearly see the total cost, including shipping, up front in the listing. Leaving these factors out of the calculation gives eBay and you a clearer signal of how you're doing on the factors that have the greatest impact—those mainly related to the buyer's experience once they've purchased an item."

Is it just me, or does that sound like "shipping costs don't really matter too much to buyers (as long as they can see them up front), what really matters is consistently good service" ?

Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Shipping costs have already got out of hand with Australia post price rises, even before the latest Aust post increases and ebays 10% FVF addition to post costs . In the last twleve months I have already changed my business practices, by not often buying on ebay to resell, as postage costs are already too high. I normally purchase resale items privately, by the pallet load now and have them sent through couriers or pick them up myself instead. This has meant a huge drop in my ebay purchases over the last 12 months. The latest round of price rises will only compound the effect. I met with a supplier of new old stock items yesterday and he had a couple of pallet loads of high quality machinery components he wanted to sell. Even though they where reasonably fast selling items, and not available anywhere else, I declined as they where quite heavy and the postage cost on individual items when sold would be too high. So the postage costs are already changing the way I operate my business and affecting my transactions on ebay. I have moved my product range to smaller, lighter, more expensive items.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I'm just going to leave this here...

eBay's answer (on eBay.com) to why a low DSR for postage costs is not going to count towards Seller Standards:

"Over time, issues with shipping cost and communication response time have become less significant and less predictive of whether buyers will return. This is mainly due to increased seller efficiency and seller commitment to shipping promptly and offering free shipping. Also, buyers clearly see the total cost, including shipping, up front in the listing. Leaving these factors out of the calculation gives eBay and you a clearer signal of how you're doing on the factors that have the greatest impact—those mainly related to the buyer's experience once they've purchased an item."

Is it just me, or does that sound like "shipping costs don't really matter too much to buyers (as long as they can see them up front), what really matters is consistently good service" ?

Smiley LOL

Who knows.gif  give_rose.gif

So stating "free" postage has no impact as far as buyers are concerned as long as they know the full total?

This might also be to allow for the GSP.

Postage cost and shipping times are a big "thing" as far as buyers are concerned and eBay seems to have

decided there that if they take away one of the main angst then buyers can't/shouldn't blame the seller and this

way they will have more sellers to make them money,(less of them will be punished for defects).

So their boards will be hit with post like: why can't I leave DSR's for postage as the item took ages to arrive,etc.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Well, buyers are still going to be able to rate sellers on postage cost, but it won't count towards the seller's standards or defect rate, even if it's a 1. What eBay are basically saying in that answer is that even when people are annoyed by the P&H they paid, it didn't noticably affect whether or not they came back to the site, unlike other issues like items not being received, or SNAD cases etc.  

Kinda undermines their whole case for the push toward free postage, IMHO.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Seems to me that there a lot of buyers who prefer an auction, where the price starts low and then they factor in the posting cost later..ie.Offer an tem at $13.50 with free postage and it doesn't sell. Offer the sam item at an auction starting at $5 with $7,20 postage and it sells for $12 plus postage. Go figure.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Kinda undermines their whole case for the push toward free postage, IMHO.

Yup!

That will probably come in here as well then.

It's the adage that buyers know that postage is needed to send their items and it's either listed separately or

included in the item price,(so it doesn't make any difference as to which way it's done as they still have to pay

for it),good.gif

The spiel that they sprout that free postage works is probably because 90% of the free postage listed on this 

site is by Chinese sellers,(who can list that way,Aussies can't),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

The sad thing tazz is that eBay have already advised it's part of the changes coming into effect here... And I say it's a sad thing because I have found a wealth of information about the (claimed) reasons for these changes on the US site, right on the pages that advise them. Long lists of Q&As; now, of course, not all changes being introduced in the US are coming here, but a lot of them are and there isn't even a copy/paste of half the info that has been provided over there, which is very disappointing. 

I suspect the fulfillment centres might be the next step. By that stage, it will probably be an attractive solution to many people sick of paying variable FVFs on calculated postage. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

The sad thing tazz is that eBay have already advised it's part of the changes coming into effect here... And I say it's a sad thing because I have found a wealth of information about the (claimed) reasons for these changes on the US site, right on the pages that advise them

They don't seem to care about the Aussie seller.(which is deplorable IMHO),shok.gif

Long lists of Q&As; now, of course, not all changes being introduced in the US are coming here, but a lot of them are and there isn't even a copy/paste of half the info that has been provided over there, which is very disappointing. 

Which is there to be found but eBay staff don't seem to care to inform us Aussies,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

I suspect the fulfillment centres might be the next step. By that stage, it will probably be an attractive solution to many people sick of paying variable FVFs on calculated postage. 

Fulfilment centres?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

Fulfilment centres?

It's an idea they've kicked around before, and I recall there being some questions relating to it in one of the surveys they did a year or two ago (same survey in which they asked questions like what would I do if FVF was charged on P&H, with multiple-choice answer supplied, such as 'increase postage', 'increase prices', 'switch to free postage', 'do nothing' - they needed a 'E' for :

frustrated

Most of the questions, from memory, seemed to be trying to gauge interest in the idea. 

Basically, sellers would become dropshippers - their stock would be stored by eBay in a fulfillment centre, and sent on to the customer when ordered. The 'A' site has a system like this (optional), and they also have standardised postage rates for a lot of (all?) things, so depending on how they worked it, it could effectively eliminate the postage component of sales for sellers (though I presume there would be costs associated with getting the stock there, possibly other costs as well), but I also presume the fulfillment centres would charge / receive the postage fees (hence, perhaps, the encouragement towards sellers thinking in terms of "one price"). 

Pure speculation, at this stage, of course.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply