Unauthorised 'Safe Drop' item stolen.

Insured for $450. No mention of 'safe drop' when processing label at MyPost.

AusPost regarding safe drop...

Under the Safe Drop terms of use, we can’t be held liable when a Safe Drop has been approved for a delivery which is subsequently damaged or goes missing.

No safe drop approval given. Not even that Safe Drop option that was hard wired in the old Click and Send.

Screen shots recorded when I went back to MyPost and partly processed the same label again ( just to see if there was

some sneaky fine print ).

Still waiting on AusPost's investigation response. It's Christmas so nothing is going to happen quickly.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? I am interested in the outcome.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Unauthorised 'Safe Drop' item stolen.

sorry zanadoo - i probably didn't explain myself well enough. my understanding is the OP here didn't pay for signature on delivery - unless i missed that.. therefore, the item could be safe dropped regardless of whether or not the seller wanted it that way. if they aren't using a service which requires a signature.. then australia post can safe drop if they see fit, or if the buyer has safe drop set to "on" in the app. https://community.auspost.com.au/s/article/What-is-Safe-Drop

startrack / eparcel has even gone one step further and given the buyer or receiver, the ability to bypass signature on delivery provided that there is no extra cover, transit cover or identity on delivery option. https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/changes-to-signature-on-delivery-ser...

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

sorry zanadoo - i probably didn't explain myself well enough. my understanding is the OP here didn't pay for signature on delivery - unless i missed that.. therefore, the item could be safe dropped regardless of whether or not the seller wanted it that way. if they aren't using a service which requires a signature.. then australia post can safe drop if they see fit, or if the buyer has safe drop set to "on" in the app. https://community.auspost.com.au/s/article/What-is-Safe-Drop

startrack / eparcel has even gone one step further and given the buyer or receiver, the ability to bypass signature on delivery provided that there is no extra cover, transit cover or identity on delivery option. https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/changes-to-signature-on-delivery-ser...

But (reading the info in the link), if the seller doesn't provide an email address for the customer then it won't be safe dropped.

Also, I once had a message from Aust Post where I could change it to Safe Drop by following the instructions as outlined in that link.  It must have been a trial run or something as it was a while ago.  Only problem was AP sent me the email while my parcel was already in transit.  I changed the delivery to safe drop but the AP contractor never got the message.  Brilliant....not.

It all still leaves a lot of exceptions to allowing safe drop.  In my case, the irony is I AM at home all the time...but it takes too long for me to get to the door.  Those delivery guys rarely hang around.  Because I am at home, safe drop really is a safe option for sellers I buy from (quite apart from the fact that I also have a good delivery spot not visible from the street).

I wasn't sure what parcel delivery the OP used either.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

Hi, I am back.

I am not the usual person who uses this ID. She just buys stuff.

I know I can't be subject to an INR because I can prove sending and delivery.

I also know that insurance is not as I supposed it has been all these years.

Pays to read the terms and conditions. Insurance only covers an item 'in transit'. Lesson learned.

Although it's technically no skin off my nose, the buyer has been a good one for years

and I feel morally obliged to go to bat for her.

The matter is currently under investigation by AP and there are only 2 slight hopes.

That the delivery photo might show an 'unsafe' drop.

The safe drop was not carded. Under AP guidelines a card must be left to advise

the recipient that an item has been safe dropped.

Fingers crossed.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

I would love to know how to STOP items being safe dropped. My front door is in close proximity to the street and I have no front fence. I have lost several parcels, that were stolen within minutes of being dropped. I know they were dropped because I was still in bed and I heard them. Even SOD parcels have been safe dropped, without my permission.

I have asked AP countless time to flag my house as not being safe, but it's made no difference. When you read their policy, they say they will only safe drop if it's safe to do so. I call bull dust. Leaving a parcel only a few feet from the footpath, in full view of the world, is apparently a safe place according to AP. 

Every now and then I get an SMS offering me options for my delivery. Option 1 is "leave at your address (if there's a safe place) and accept T&Cs". Option 2 is "Someone will be home". Option 3 is "Take to post office if not home". Last week I selected option 3 because I knew both of us would be out most of the morning.

I got home to find a parcel at my front door. What was the point of the SMS then? Not only had I selected option 3, the parcel was SOD. The parcel was full of medical supplies for Mr Tippy, so I would have been really jacked off if it got stolen.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

That link is 3 years old and only applies to eparcel deliveries through StarTrack.  The general freight delivered by StarTrack is NOT Safe Dropped.....never has been.

On the very rare occasion a Safe Drop item is given to a StarTrack driver they must take a photo which shows where the item was left and they do not card the item.  Cards are only left if the item goes to the local PO.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

My daughter had a safe drop parcel delivered last week and to my shock well not really shock haha I heard a knock on the door and it was the star track fellow and he said that there is a parcel that needs a signature,I said it was supposed to be safe dropped as my daughter pressed #1 on her phone lol.

The chap said sorry but it needs a signature but I said it shows as it can be safe dropped,he said because it was an eparcel it had to be signed for.

So even if safe drop was chosen it wasn't going to be safe dropped,so lucky I was home to receive it as my daughter needed the items urgently and if she had to go to AP at the end of the day then all hell would have come loose lol.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

This is becoming a problem with StarTrack......Australia Post is trying to make them defacto postmen instead of the courier service that they have always been.....and the rules are different.

The bosses at Startrack are locking horns with the Unions and refusing to do some of the work that AP wants them to do.

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

i realise the link is old lyndal, but according to their website now - articles via startrack can be safe dropped if the receiver chooses them to be - it doesn't only apply to eparcel items - https://startrack.com.au/services/receiving/missed-delivery

though, like everything to do in the AP world, i'm sure it depends on how each driver does their own thing - because there seems to be an overall lack of consistency. 

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I would love to know how to STOP items being safe dropped. My front door is in close proximity to the street and I have no front fence. I have lost several parcels, that were stolen within minutes of being dropped. I know they were dropped because I was still in bed and I heard them. Even SOD parcels have been safe dropped, without my permission.

I have asked AP countless time to flag my house as not being safe, but it's made no difference. When you read their policy, they say they will only safe drop if it's safe to do so. I call bull dust. Leaving a parcel only a few feet from the footpath, in full view of the world, is apparently a safe place according to AP. 

Every now and then I get an SMS offering me options for my delivery. Option 1 is "leave at your address (if there's a safe place) and accept T&Cs". Option 2 is "Someone will be home". Option 3 is "Take to post office if not home". Last week I selected option 3 because I knew both of us would be out most of the morning.

I got home to find a parcel at my front door. What was the point of the SMS then? Not only had I selected option 3, the parcel was SOD. The parcel was full of medical supplies for Mr Tippy, so I would have been really jacked off if it got stolen.

I have the same problem with my front door - it is only a few metres from the footpath and it would be most unsafe to leave parcels there.  I've put a note there to say not to leave anything but its amazing how very few notice it.  Sigh. 

But as far as Aust Post are concerned the AP contractor who delivers the parcels has more brains than some couriers, and he puts my parcels in a more logical place.  It's so safe in fact that I heartily wish he would 'forget' the requirements of SOD and just put those parcels where the rest of them go.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

As far as StarTrack is concerned there is no lack of consistency.....they do not Safe Drop unless the parcel is untracked (that is, it is a parcel that was put into the AP system rather than the StarTrack system).

StarTrack is a courier service and therefore it is tracked.  If not deliverable it goes to the local PO.

Recently the powers that be have been insisting that StarTrack should deliver the overflow from the AP system.....those can be Safe Dropped if the receiver so orders if they are untracked.

And StarTrack drivers do not do their own thing.....there are very specific rules to be followed.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply