Unhappy buyer

I purchased a camera from an Australian Camera Supplier in Western Australia.  I was referred to him via Whirlpool forums and he had the best price I could find.  The supplier covers the camera under their warranty for 12 months. 

I had to sell the camera and some storage disks as I had some expensive dental work to pay for unfortunately. 

I started the bid from $1 and it ended up selling for $1000. 

Now the buyer is complaining that I misled him saying that the camera I purchased was from a grey importer and not an australian supplier.   The company I purchased the camera from is a registered company in Australia.  He sells photographic equipment to professionals and on his website is very transparent about his warranties etc etc. . 

The buyer is nasty and complaining that the warranty isn't good enough.  I had in my listing that it was from an Australian Supplier and was under 12 months warranty.  Nothing I have said has been a lie or misleading.  There were lots of people bidding for the camera. 

Now he is saying he is going to lodge a complaint with paypal.  I'm very upset about this and I don't know what to do.  I've done nothing wrong and I wish I had the camera back and hadn't had to sell it becasue it was a lovely camera. .

Anyway, any feedback form anyone would be really appreciated. 

Cheers

Message 1 of 100
Latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

Re: Unhappy buyer

I mean, if this SNAD scam thing is the case, why would anyone feel like selling on eBay via Paypal? There was a bunch of people on this forum complaining about this saying you just buy something on eBay, make an SNAD claim and PP will automatically see in favour of the buyer & the buyer can send whatever back to you and you're screwed (pardon the language)
I recon this buyer has done this before. Or am I starting to get paranoid too soon
Message 71 of 100
Latest reply

Koo Sir  and others have helped you up to this point , I wouldn't go looking at other boards for any other suggestions........ these others have probably been kicked off ebay , because I am sure if you really get scammed " box of rocks " etc  you would not be advocating others do the same by publishing it to give other "shonks" ideas.

I have seen some wonderful and constructive advice given here. Go with these very professional people and stay away from those with no real evidence of their experience.

at the end of the day, we all have the occasional buyer from hell, you may be lucky to get this one early on in your selling .... every problem that we have had on our business account has made us more vigilent about details in description, background items in photos , where to send and how etc etc......you learn and grow.Close your mind and you might as well close your account.

ebay is  a great marketplace and this is good to see a strong and helpful community giving their time to help others.

Message 72 of 100
Latest reply

I guess if there wasn't so much money ($1,000) involved I wouldn't be near as upset and the fact that I had to sell the camera to help pay for dental work has just made me feel so helpless.   I know I need to get a grip but it was just going round and round in my head a bit last night and I started trawling Google for some answers. . Yeah I know, bad idea! . .   I thought when I listed it I was saying all that needed to be said.  I mean the item isn't damaged at all, it's practically new.  I know all cameras are imported mostly from China and even when I purchased it, it didn't phase me that the receipt didn't have gst or that it was shipped from Hong Kong or that the warranty isn't a "Manufacturers" warranty. . as the warranty that is there is as good as and the Manufacturers warranty in that the Australian Camera shop I bought it from covers the warranty.   I can't see how, what I put was "significantly" different from what they bought.  And because item didn't meet the buyers expectations he is saying that I was disceptive.  I bought the camera from an Australian Shop/business and that's what I said!  How is that disceptive? 

Sorry, I'll shut up now. 

Message 73 of 100
Latest reply

I know I said I would shut up but I found this and then I will shut up:

13.7 SNAD Definition

What is Significantly Not as Described (SNAD)?

An item is Significantly Not as Described if it is materially different than what the seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:

You received a completely different item. Example: You purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
The condition of the item was misrepresented. Example: The listing said "new" and the item was used.
The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in the listing.
You purchased three items from a seller but only received two.

The item was damaged during shipment.

An item is not Significantly Not as Described if it is materially similar to the seller's item listing description. Here are some examples:

The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller.
The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
***The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.*** (I think this is what applies to my situation)
The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
Message 74 of 100
Latest reply

Have you called PayPal for an update on this case?

Message 75 of 100
Latest reply

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you. I did not mean to imply you were at fault in any way.

I am sure your description was everything it should have been.

Message 76 of 100
Latest reply

Ok, I don't know if this will put your mind at ease or not, but here's the thing - PayPal can sometimes facilitate a scam, that is true, and there are people out there who have had this happen to them. A lot of the time, on the eBay or other forums,  the only recourse people seem to think they have is to vent and warn others. It's good to be aware of the potential problems that can arise in these situations - but it's better to know how to deal with them.

PayPal can make a decision that is ultimately wrong (eg you are sent back a different item, or it's been tampered with, and the payment is reversed), but their decisions can be appealed. Either directly, by phoning and explaining, and - if that doesn't get you anywhere - by filing a complaint with the BFSO (Banking and Financial Services Ombudsman). 

PayPal, if they have paid out a claim in error and they recognise that, will return the funds as a discretionary payment (that is, they don't get taken back from the buyer, so it's not 100% ideal because they still have their pay-off, but at least PP will pay for their mistakes....if forced to).

If for any reason something goes wrong and you're out the camera and the money, there are still some things you can do. eg If the buyer retained the original camera, you can report the buyer to the Online Fraud department for obtaining the goods by deception, however (going by the sequence of events in a previous thread), they require that a request for re-payment be made, and they will take action if the repayment isn't received after a certain period of time. I don't know exactly what action they would take, as in the aforementioned thread the buyer ended up paying the seller back. 

Message 77 of 100
Latest reply

My other post was from my ausflylady acc.... again sorrry

janelle
Message 78 of 100
Latest reply

I called on Sunday and the lady put a note on my case as follows:

"The Seller wanted to make sure that there was no misunderstanding. The Seller bought this camera in Australia from a reputable camera shop. The only question that the Buyer asked her was if he would receive the receipt that she got from the shop and she sent it to him with the camera. The Seller never misled anyone. The warranty is with the camera shop, not the manufacturer."

She said that would help my case ( I hope it does) . .
Message 79 of 100
Latest reply

grey imports are totally legal. However they dont come with a manufactuers warranty which is the warranty you ideally want in the casae of cameras. If this WA business is selling grey imports they should IMO say so. So other buyers dont luck out. With lenese so I assume camera bodies too, a grey import len is not produced for the Australian market but are exactly the same lens, even down to the box it comes in. Serial numbers are the key to knowing if its oz stock or imported stock.

Message 80 of 100
Latest reply