Unpaid item case

Sorry this may end up a tad long!

I was selling a set of DVDs and someone bid and bought them. She did not pay and did not contact me and then I got the message that an unpaid item case was being opened and she had till X date to pay.

I contacted her and then she messaged back saying her boss had delayed her wages etc and she would pay in a few days and that I should cancel the case.

I did not

Anyway the case closed as she did not pay within that due time and she contacted me accusing me of stuffing her around :O!!!! and that she said she would pay etc etc

I told her that firstly she should not have bid if she did not have the money to pay and I had no guarantees that she would have paid if I had cancelled the case and sorry but she deserved an unpaid strike since she did not pay. Simple.

+ I was the one stuffed around as I needed money and then had to relist my item.

Was I wrong?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Unpaid item case

The automatic UID has been available for nearly two years now, from the ebay announcement:

New unpaid item assistance
Coming September 2010 the new unpaid item assistant feature will save sellers time by automating the process of opening and closing unpaid item cases. The assistant can be set to automatically open a case 4, 8, 16, 24 or 32 days after a listing ends. If a buyer doesn't meet the payment period set up via the system, an unpaid item case will automatically be opened and will only be closed once the buyer pays. If the buyer doesn't pay, you will receive a final value fee credit and the buyer will receive an unpaid item strike against their record.

The feature is available on an opt-in basis and can only be used with integrated payment methods, such as PayPal and Paymate, or a third party checkout integrated with eBay where eBay can identify when a payment has been made. Unpaid item assistant is not recommended for sellers who use bank deposit, as it may generate an unpaid item strike against a buyer who has paid using this method.

The op must have 'opted in' at some point for this to have occured.

Today might be the day that I get mistaken for some-one important - Hyacinth Bucket
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

qball28
Community Member
I might do automatic๐Ÿ˜€
Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

I thought about going automatic, but it's just as easy to do it manually. The only benefit I can see for using automatic for me as a small seller is, the buyer can't leave feedback from the time the case is open, as opposed to being able to leave feedback until it's closed when done manually. 

You can also be more flexible by staying manual. If you have a buyer who is buying something every day (via auction), after 4 days they're going to start getting cases opened against them if it's automatic, might get upset about it and stop buying. They may also panic and pay, then stop buying, when in actual fact, they were planning on continue to buy.

Definitely sounds to me like the OP has clicked yes when the Unpaid Assistant was offered. Usually it gets offered when you open a case manually.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

I doubt that many posters will be back to this thread after 2 years.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Oh goodness, don't I feel like a dill!!! I didn't look at the date on this thread. Normally I do check the dates.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply