Update Account Details message

I have received an email and there is also a message in eBay itself that asks for me to update my account details, that my payments from my sales will be withheld if I don't do that. I'm assuming this is a scam, why doesn't eBay fix this? My account details are  correct so I'm not updating anything. If it isn't a scam, what rights do eBay have for withholding money that correctly belongs to me, has anyone talked to a lawyer? I understand there are some new IRS requirements, however that's a US requirement, not an Australian requirement so doesn't apply to me. Interested in people's thoughts on this. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If you haven't signed up and verified your details for eBay's Managed Payments, then yes eBay will be unable to process your money from sales. You should end all your listings until you have done that.

It is an Australian law that compels eBay to do that, in fact Paypal had to do the same thing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792&st=12&pos=5&query=Regis...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

No Scam!

It is a legal requirement you must comply with, and you can be required to supply additional verification at any time.  This has been in place for 2yrs, and if you fail to provide details upon request, then it is illegal for ebay to release funds to you.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

But the rules don't apply to the OP GP - it's there in black red and white........

............"not an Australian requirement so doesn't apply to me"............😂

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Padi,      Sorry, I keep forgetting where I live

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

But the rules don't apply to the OP GP - it's there in black red and white........

............"not an Australian requirement so doesn't apply to me"............😂

Heap not calumny upon the red!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:😂

Heap not calumny upon the red!

My abject apologies Countess - I will henceforth hang my head in shame.......😘

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

countessalmirena_3-1658555966929.gif

painting-red(Viannen).gif

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, I just had to do this. It's not a problem if you click on the verify your details. Then after a few days later, Ebay will deposit a small amount into your bank account. All you have to do is put the amounts in your Ebay account. It's easy don't worry about it.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply