WHY IS IT NOW HARDER TO SELL ON EBAY ?

Over the last 18-24 months, l have noticed an extra amount of effort and forethought that has been required by ebay Seller's to list items to Sell. Many factors have brought this about, a number due to changes in the structure by ebay themselves.

However, some have been brought about by the pure greed and unprofessional behavior of a number of ebay Sellers who have made it harder for those doing the right thing.

One reason has been the postage issue change, brought about by ebay because some sellers were posting and item @99c  and then charging $25.00 for postage, to help cover any loss through the 99c sale, if it did not increase in auction time.

The amount of negative media coverage through paper, tv media, and written articles in journals. A quick search through google will show you many of the concerns of the Buying public in relation to ebay, here, and in the USA & UK.  These facts do not do well for Sellers trying to make a "living" or make a hobby a $ profitable outcome.

ebay's New MBG has just added fuel to the fire, along with an increase in Fee structure, ebay Shop costs, AP Mailing costs, and the behind the scene costs that we do not always see or take into account, e.g. taking parcels and postage to the local AP mail outlet, vehicle running costs, etc.

Bubble wrap, envelopes, printing labels, printer cart/ink, assembly of said item, etc, etc,  all take time and effort, then there is ebay to pay at or near the end of your month, next month, it starts all over again.

Those Sellers, ( and they know who they are ) who do not do the right thing by their Buyer, create an environment that is then very hard for those doing the right thing, to survive in.  Some Buyers still believe in once bitten, twice shy.

So why is it getting harder to Sell and remail "afloat" here on ebay ?  Anyone else have some thoughts or advice ?

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

saarzi
Community Member

Several reasons, in my opinion, in no particular order -

1. Ebay is changing, or has changed or moving into the next phase of their master business plan (yes, thats actually a thing), and factors that take into consideration smaller sellers are either, farrr down their lists of priorities, or no longer existant.  Note: they are well in their rights to change / focus their business plan as they please, and of course they would, all businesses worth their salt do.

2. People refuse, or dont know how, to change their business plan (or didnt have one to begin with) in line with the changes around them.  They also lack innovation.  Any business who does not have a business plan nor the flexibilty to change will die. Change is, and has always been, a major factor in the retail game.

3. Payday / Panda updates on Google / Google penalties to Ebay rankings on their search engine. Any seller who doesnt know about this needs to read up on the business they have invested in (which is what all sellers have done by selling here). See their NASDAQ reports - I believe all sellers who rely on Ebay for income should be all over them and other related stock reports as soon as they hit the market. They significantly help to judge the market (i.e. your income).

4. Throttling / blackouts / invisible seller limits. Since Throttling (not the others) has been admitted to, we can now assume the others exist too, to some extent (and we know it through experience anyway). Since we know that, we can assume it is in place as a method of obtaining goals within the Ebay business plan. When we choose to sell here, who are choosing to use a business that has a particular business plan, the thorrtling etc included. Now go back and read point 1. again, then point 2.

5. Changing consumer habits. Thats online and off. We know that online habits are changing considerably... theres research all over the place, the online retail community is worried, its in the news etc. (if sellers dont know that they really need to start reading a little more). See point 2.

I might **bleep** about the throttling etc, but thats only because its something that cant be judged or measured. Its difficullt (not impossible) to change a business plan to work to something you are kept in the dark about, and dont know how it works (and it seems to be possiubly illegal, and probably quite unethical).

But the bottom line is, things like postage and fees, things like changing consumer habits - these are a given. They are an out in the open, "stable" (although they periodically change), continuous thing.   If someone cant work their business to counteract these things, there is something seriously wrong, and perhaps they should consider whether or not they are in the right business for them.

When someone blames other sellers, fees, buyers... everything but themselves for their failures... well... would you hire them? 

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

oohh double thread.

seee the other one HERE

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Additionally people are becoming ruder and more entitled ......... on eBay and elsewhere.
Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

@saarzi wrote:

oohh double thread.

seee the other one HERE

l am so sorry saarzi, l did not see your thread, in no way did l mean to encrouch on your thread. Thank you for telling me.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

not at all.. both your threads, i just replied to one and saw there was another the same 🙂

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

When someone blames other sellers, fees, buyers... everything but themselves for their failures... well... would you hire them? -saazri.

A very well thoughtful post, you have brought up some interesting points, different from mine, ..... yes, you have some points to well consider in the ebay world of commerce. Your last quotation, as above, l really think, says it all.

Well done saazri, may we all take our own piece of advice out of your thread.  Thank you, and all the best.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Ebay is old tech, it reperesents the publics entry into buying on line. Days when few sellers had their own websites and search engines were basic. Now buyers and sellers are comfortable trading online. Shopping optimization of search engine results means buyers can now easily find sellers websites, which are more plentiful. eg google can take you direct to any item on a sellers website, so why should they make dedicated listings on Ebay?

Times are changing there is no need for a specific website for big sellers to list on. Buyers now go direct. This causes buyers to bypass Ebay. Ebay senses this and has desperately made wholescale changes to adrress this. Buyers and sellers dont like change, its too hard they move on. Ebay desperately bend over for buyers at sellers expense.

Sellers become disgruntled.  Sellers are part of the buying public and are in close contact with buyers. Sellers not trusting Ebay spreads to buyers, sales plummet further. Ebay try to attract these big sellers. But really they don't need Ebay, as Ebays base of buyers start to shrink the big sellers will see no point being here and withdraw..There endeth ebays viability

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

wonderful, Friday night computer hiccups, .....not me, must be ebay gremlin's.

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

I will be leaving ebay on Sunday fo two months . I listed 150 items on my 4 accounts and sold 4 items.

they trick us with free listings, and then we make mistakes eg over listing so we pay them money to list. 

they remove the 3 automatic relist so we can list less, or pay min $1.50 per listing

they will soon be removing for non store holders the 40 free listings as well Customer service told me.

i can have an online store and run it my way.

Ebay was once a good place to sell.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply