What are my chances of getting an excess postage bill?

Hi all. I am a very casual eBay seller. I sold a puffer jacket the other day and used my own packaging to wrap it up. When I originally listed it, I folded it up and measured it and calculated how much postage would be. It came to $15.95. In my haste to print a label and get this package shipped I must have accidentally clicked "Australia Post Large Satchel" instead of "own packaging"... I didn't pick up on this. I paid $16.

So today, my partner took it to the post office on my behalf and said the lady scolded him. She said she shouldn't even accept the parcel because it's not in Aus Post packaging, but will "just this once". She also said I might get a bill? What do you think?

All this turns me right off using my own packaging. I should just use their satchels to save the hassle. ๐Ÿ˜›

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

yep, they don't question the satchels....not even the 'fake' ones

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

If you paid $16 that will allow for up to 3kg in weight or cubed size. How big was the parcel. I don't see an issue and I doubt the staff member would have accepted it if it was over weight or size. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I have found - when selling an item - I just simply do my own thing.

I have a postage charge - I box it - take it to the PO - over the counter - send.

I never involve eBay with postage choices - they can't even get - all packages these days have tracking.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I'm not sure how big it was. But I think it would've been 40-50 cm long. I wonder now if it actually was closer to an XL satchel size. Hmm. I think I really messed this up. I just hope if they need to charge anyone, it will be me and not the buyer!

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

What was the weight and how was it packed, box or satchel. If was not to thick it can still be under 3kgs. 

I was hit with under paid postage due to mixing labels up on 2 parcels. Funny how they did not refund the excess on the small one with the label for a larger parcel.๐Ÿ˜€

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

the buyer does not usually get charged....it might be you, or they will let it go through

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I would say that given the Aust Post officer โ€œacceptedโ€ the parcel the you should be fine. If you do get fined, let them know that it was accepted by Australia Post!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

It was packed in a satchel. Not sure of the weight but it was a puffer jacket. I doubt it would've weighed 1kg. I think it was 10 cm thick maybe.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Under 1kg is only $13.25 and size is irrelevant and if over does not sound like it was large enough to be an issue. It usually takes a week or so after delivery to be notified of under paid postage but I don't see any issues. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply