What do I do about a negative product review

Hi Guys, I just noticed that one of our products received a negative review. The buyer said the item fell about after 2 hours use. I don't think the buyer had contacted us. So I copied his user name into my ALL ORDERS section to see when he bought the item and nothing came up. So either the guy posting the veview had not purchased the item or it was more than 90 days ago.

We would have quickly helped the customer out if we had heard about the problem. We would also go back to our supplier and trace the problem. The item sells for approx $100 and we are building business in this category. I have messaged the guy today offering assistance and asking for a photograph.

I also included my phone number so the buyer could call me, but ebay would not let me send that message. I thought it was OK to send a number to someone that had already purchased. No?

I wouled appreciate some advice on this.

While I am here, should I show a phone number in my store or product template. I know ebay s not to do this, but many ebay sellers do. I think it is a much better service to our customers and for the few dollars ebay may lose, the better service and higher ebay sales volume as a result would balance any sales lost. What do you guys do?

Thanks Andrew

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What do I do about a negative product review

If it's a review rather than feedback, then they may not have bought from you. A review that someone writes will show on the listing of every seller that is selling that item. The reviews are the star ratings at the bottom of a listing. If someone buys a Fisher and Paykel 6kg washing machine and then leaves a review, every seller who is selling the same washing machine (or even a close match) will have that review at the bottom of their listing. There is nothing you can do about it.

Can you provide an item number so we can have a look?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If it's a review rather than feedback, then they may not have bought from you. A review that someone writes will show on the listing of every seller that is selling that item. The reviews are the star ratings at the bottom of a listing. If someone buys a Fisher and Paykel 6kg washing machine and then leaves a review, every seller who is selling the same washing machine (or even a close match) will have that review at the bottom of their listing. There is nothing you can do about it.

Can you provide an item number so we can have a look?

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Thanks Tippy Toes. Yes, I realised it was a review alkthough I didn't know that a review of another suppliers product could appear on my products review (obviously that would only apply to name brand products with specific model numbers). Anyhow, I had stumbled on this review on one of my 800 listings. I went back to it today and there was no reviews. It is also strange how some listings have the stars and an invite to "be the first to review" and others don't have this line. Anyhow, this will have to remain a mystery just like many aspects of being an ebay seller.

Did you see my question about adding phone numbers and/or email addresses to listings. I know that ebay say that you cannot do it but ebay also says you cannot add wording etc. to main ebay headline images but all the pro-ebay stores (Oz Plaza etc.) do it.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply