What do you do with your extra salt?

I promise this is related to selling, but it's also a diversionary tactic (for me), because I have a habit of using it to sprinkle an unhealthy does of snark into a message and I don't want to do that this time 🤣

What strategies do you employ when you are seriously angry at a customer, but it's not worth the time or energy to do anything but try to let it go and move on? 

I'm genuinely interested in some new things to try other than "quitely seethe until I vent or get over it", lol.

Will check back later for some handy hints, as I'm definitely getting my keister off the internet for a while (for the curious, there isn't really an interesting story here, I'm just super salty over a some wasted time and money). 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
8 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I am a bit of a fatalist. If something is totally out of my control then I don't waste my emotions getting angry if this won't change anything. BUT depending on the issue I might calmly work out how to get even!!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I breathe, a lot, then I rant, someimtes rage, and then figure - You can't please all the people all the tme and decide the person causing me the angst is a &***^%^& and I feel better.

I am also going to lay a bet that your interesting story will involve some aspect of the MBG.

I am not even a seller, and I rage about some of the stuff I read!

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I just block them. Fool me once...

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

My son always reminds me that the cause of my angst doesn't

a) know that I'm upset

b) care that I'm upset

so the only person affected is me

I try to remember that and let it go - after a good rant!

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

We've all probably had experiences that are similar to that in some way, digital*ghost!

Of course, as an eBay buyer rather than seller, my experiences aren't parallel, and they are in different fields, but I have certainly had people waste my time and try to dump me into the midden pit of their unkept promises!

I have written letters and emails that I never sent. Just getting something said (but not sending it) can help a little. I can then use the communication that I didn't send as a springboard for something kinder and less throat-ripping, until finally I re-read what I have and am satisfied that it's okay to send.

I have stormed dramatically to myself, with full Shakespearean fury.

I have sat down and read through the communications, from the first to the last, and jotted down where I probably went wrong. Too kind? Too trusting? Too wishful of being helpful to people in trouble? I ruthlessly delineate where I had an opportunity to back away, and any signs that indicated that it would be best to back away. I use all of that information to come up with additions to my personal policies, and look at my contract information and terms of engagement and so on. I edit anything that in my judgement needs to be edited. I edit my email template responses to particular requests/situations if it's warranted. I try to use the bad experience to refine my future dealings.

In general, people who have wasted my time will not know just how annoying they've been, and there's little point in my telling them. People - all of us - we all tend to see things from our own perspective, which means there's a filter and an advocate for their own behaviour. I am unlikely to change other people's behaviour, so after the Sturm und Drang of my immediate reaction, I try to wax philosophical about the experience and learn from it, all the better to avoid a similar situation from occurring in future.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I read poetry

Frustration
by Dorothy Parker

If I had a shiny gun,
I could have a world of fun
Speeding bullets through the brains
Of the folk who give me pains;

Or had I some poison gas,
I could make the moments pass
Bumping off a number of
People whom I do not love.

But I have no lethal weapon-
Thus does Fate our pleasure step on!
So they still are quick and well
Who should be, by rights, in hell.

atheism is a non prophet organization

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Okay, I understand completely why you are seriously angry, but I don't think you should just quietly seethe or 'move on'.

There is a middle ground between doing nothing and going ballistic.

What I'd be doing is writing a polite message. Polite in that you don't go calling the person a  jerk or making any comment about their character, much as you might like to (and be entitled to, actually).

Put the emphasis on yourself and how you feel. Disappointed, seriously let down and financially affected. Outline the basic facts of what you did in good faith for them, step by step.

Mention it is the biggest thing you have done for someone.

Make no demands. Just leave it at that. Phrase it as advice for the future, just so they are aware.

People can often make excuses for their own behaviour and they can gloss over in their mind how it could have any effect on the other person. We see that all the time here in posts where buyers haven't always really understood why sellers weren't happy to just cancel at the drop of a hat etc. They didn't realise what extra work they put sellers to (I know that aspect is changing in ebay now, but talking about in the past)

If you abuse them, they can then wipe it further from their minds with the justification of-well, I am glad I didn't buy from them anyway as they weren't very nice. I did apologise, after all.

But if you couch it in terms of youself, they can't argue with that.

And although we can't change people's behaviour, outlining just how you have been affected, step by step, may in fact give them pause. They may have no idea it was any big deal to you.

I have been in similar situations (not with commercial transactions but in the workplace) Once was with a student teacher and one day she let me down badly.  She arrived 15 minutes late after school began on a day when we were going on an excursion. The other buses had gone and there I was, waiting with parents and another class, we had all been ready for 30 minutes.  The student teacher had no reason for running late, no car trouble etc.  No message sent earlier. She just walked in and gave an airy sorry.

I kept my temper but later  in private outlined exactly how it had affected me and why it wasn't on. She ended up in tears but I didn't particularly care. She got the message-that sorry didn't cut it, that it was more of a big deal than she thought. I doubt she would ever do it again to someone, put it that way. I failed her. I was glad to get it off my chest too, even though it didn't change the situation.

You deserve your say, say it. Not wasted time at all. Won't fix the problem but your buyer will know they have been a jerk. You won't have to tell them.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Honestly digi, when I see you post on these forums I admire the way you're able to keep your cool and reply to people in the nicest possible of ways. It makes me feel more human to know you have seething moments too haha. 

I have a habit of replying to people as soon as I receive their messages. The biggest thing I've done recently is try to walk away and wait a while to reply to peoples messages until I've calmed down. I often got myself in a bit of a bother when people lodged return requests (which happened rarely) or messaged me furiously about something totally out of my control. 

Now I just take a good amount of time until I reply to them and do my best to be as courteous as I can, while still explaining the situation how I see it and try and lay things out for them too. More often than not it has worked and I find the responses I get after that seem to be toned down too.

I hope you've found that magic solution!

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I am a bit of a fatalist. If something is totally out of my control then I don't waste my emotions getting angry if this won't change anything. BUT depending on the issue I might calmly work out how to get even!!

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I breathe, a lot, then I rant, someimtes rage, and then figure - You can't please all the people all the tme and decide the person causing me the angst is a &***^%^& and I feel better.

I am also going to lay a bet that your interesting story will involve some aspect of the MBG.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I just block them. Fool me once...

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Actually a non-eBay story this time, this is just the most appropriate outlet I have aside from whinging on FB, lol.

I'll put the story in a spoiler - just know up front this is not a "I'm never gonna financially recover from this" kinda situation, more of a "well....this is intensely frustrating and will take me a little while to get over" situation, lol 

Spoiler

Had someone contact me asking for large quantities of an item I stock, but in different sizes. I explained I'm not really equipped to to do wholesale orders of that nature, however I could get what they want, it would just take several weeks, then gave them a quote. After quite a bit of back and forth, I went ahead and arranged for an order.

In the end, I spent the most I ever have on a single item to import a large quantity (postage alone was close to AUD$300), and - big surprise - when I let them know they'd arrived yesterday, they were "sorry, but...."

I'm mostly salty because I had to divert a lot of money to this one item and forego getting in other, needed stock, to accommodate them. The items will sell regardless, I just never would have dropped that kind of money on the product without their insistence.

And I know everyone will say "get a deposit" and / or I only have myself to blame for not doing so etc  - I understand and even agree with the practice of getting deposits etc, plus recommend others do it, but I'm not mad about the money anywhere near as much since I know the rest of my customers will be more than happy to buy them, it's just the disregard and fact that I've had to let other customers down to be able to supply this one. (I tend not to ask for deposits for items I can easily sell whether or not the customer goes ahead with a purchase because I hate the stress of having a financially invested customer when the supplier lets me down in some way, which has happened a few times in the past after I took money up front. I do get deposits if I can't sell the items otherwise, of course).  

Venting now to make sure I don't send  the email reply I wrote.  🤣

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Luckily for me, I don't take requests.

I do feel for you, I realise we sell into different markets, but I would never purchase expensive stock on a promise.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks 🙂 I'll get over it eventually at least, lol, the stock price was ok, I just had to buy a lot of it to get the size they were requesting (normally with this kind of item, I buy 10-30k pcs at a time and that will last a few months on average, the MOQ on this one was 100k pcs and it was basically just marginally bigger than the standard size I stock, to suit a specific project they had in mind. I guess at least I won't be running out of them any time soon. 😂

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

It sucks this happened, and the worst of it, aside from what you said, is that in future a genuine buyer may miss out on an opportunity because of one self absorbed idiot who has let you down.

BTW - I would have sent that email

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

It's really tempting, the problem is if I go off about it all that would do is give them something to either feel guilty about or - worse - get some kind of pleasure from it. If I play it cool, they might get the impression it's no big deal. I toyed with the idea of just letting them know not to contact or buy from me in future, but really that would be a self-satisfying "hmmph" that they may not even care about or just interpret it as the note below, so I've settled for the silent treatment. 😆

dear jerk.jpg

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice doesn't happen. BBL

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply