What to do about this buyer?

I just received a message from a buyer saying that the PC we sent him arrived damaged. We sent the item to Thirroul, which is only about 35 minutes up the road from here. I can work out from his messages that he has had a friend in Thirroul send the PC to him in New Zealand. Now, the item was signed for as being in good condition when it was delivered to Thirroul on 04/07/13.

First he said that he wants a refund. Now, he's saying that he wants the PC replaced with a new one. Normally, I would do this without hesitation. However in this case I believe that is extremely likely the PC was damaged on the trip to New Zealand, not on the trip to Thirroul in which the PC would have been handled only a couple of times. This is clearly his responsibility, not mine. In the past I have always just done whatever is necessary to please the customer and avoid a neg. However in this situation it's really annoying me because his guy is being a total jerk and it's probably not even our fault. Suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: What to do about this buyer?

As long as it arrived to the address on the paypal payment then you have done your bit.

Once it is at the address you posted it too your responsibilty ends there and any damage caused in further transit is NOT your problem.

If he opened a dispute via paypal then state in there what has happened re being sent onto NZ after being delivered to the address on the paypal payment notice. (this is of course assuming it was paid with paypal) and then escalate the dispute to a claim for paypal to see you are not at fault.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right. Paypal may well decide that we aren't at fault. To be honest, I'm more concerned about the neg. I can tell from this guys attitude that he will leave a neg in a heartbeat if I don't do what he wants. I've worked really hard to obtain TRS status and maintain 100% positive feedback and I really don't want to lose that.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If they leave a neg contact ebay and ask if they will remove it and to read the messages from the buyer where he states it was on sent to NZ from the address it was sent to in Australia only a very short distance from you and you beleive the damage happened on the trip to NZ NOT from you to the address sent to.

If you fight it enough and be calm when talking to them they may help you.

If he does leave a neg you can reply to it stating Item was on sent to NZ after delivery to Australian address.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

You have excellent feedback and I doubt one neg would harm you and depending on what they leave if any may even make them look the fool rather than you as a bad seller and any follow up you do needs to be professional to show you have not done the wrong thing as the follow up left by a seller is what often puts buyers off if it is rude or nasty at all.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

You have been Pay Pal scammed

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Statistics says 2% of people in the world are scumbags. i think your buyer maybe in that 2%.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Some sellers seem to believe receiving a neg is the end of the world however no one needs to lose money just to try to avoid receiving it. Chances are a buyer will leave it for you regardless of what you do. If the buyer opens a Paypal dispute they will be asked to return the computer via registered mail which will be expensive. No wonder they are demanding you just send another one to them. They might end up with 2 decent computers.

TCT
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Forget the feedback, it is a small red dot on your computer screen and is not going to stop anyone buying from you.

I would send them this:

The computer was signed for in good condition at the Australian address and I am unsure how it was transported to NZ but if anything happened to it during that journey it is not our responsibility. I presume you entrusted it to somebody to bring with them as it is illegal to send a computer or anything else with a lithium battery overseas using Aus Post or you used a private courier and I suggest you look to them to reimburse you.

If they open a Paypal dispute state your case very clearly in the initial response, don't overcomplicate it, bullet point facts work best, and make it very clear that you expect Paypal to apply theor seller protection polocies to protect you.

At the worst if Paypal find against you they would have to return the item and if they try to do that with the correct tracking and customs details they should not be allowed to send it usng the NZ postal service.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Add to your blocked bidders list asap.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply