What would you do? Buyers that can't read

Hi all,

So i have a situation where many of you fellow sellers may have experienced.

- Buyer doesn't read the listing (it clearly states what you are getting in the listing title and the description).

- Buyer receives item and messages me with words to the effect of "I paid $90 for 2 x fitted sheets and 4 x pillowcases ???

- To which I respond, "yes that is correct and it is clearly stated in the listing title and description"

- Buyer then goes on to say that they want to 'return this garbage'

Now the buyer has clearly not read the listing. My listing policy states that we only accept returns for damaged or faulty items. 

Do I risk not accepting the return (there is nothing wrong with the item) and getting 2 negative feedbacks (the customer purchased the item in 2 seperate transactions) or do I just accept the return?

What would you all do in this situation?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: What would you do? Buyers that can't read

If the item is as described then I doubt they would win a case if they chose to open one.

So if they got 2 sheets and 4 pillow cases what were they expecting?

In the end it is up to you if you ask them to return for the refund less postage if it is as described or let them go the dispute and see if you win or not.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I know I will win the case, it's the negative feedback that the buyer may potentially leave that I'm worried about as I am not 100% certain whether I will be able to get that lifted.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

OP the conditions for return needs to in the listing returns policy sectopm not just your description.

Some of your listings show you do accept returns up to 30 days and there are no conditions showing in the relevant listing area. 

Other listings you have point the buyer to the listing description to read the policy.

For the ones that don't show anything, except that you accept returns, IMO you would lose a case.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

If the item is as described and if they say anything via ebay messages that can be taken as a threat for neg then you should get it lifted.

But if you win a dispute and they leave a neg then call ebay about getting it removed.

But in the end 1 neg will not destroy you unless you get lots of them.

And you can leave a follow up if they leave it

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I hate doing it but just except it and move on. No taunt or anything just move on (keep records). Ebay will hate all that when the time comes. THey have made their decision and will.........

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@isus_store wrote:

Now the buyer has clearly not read the listing. My listing policy states that we only accept returns for damaged or faulty items. 

Your's / mine return policies mean nothing when it comes to returns and Ebay.

The buyer is right the seller is wrong, and you get defects to boot. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I had exactly the same problem and the buyer won the case.

The buyer bought a poster from me and my listing clearly states everything: paper size, paper thickness, matte or gloss, and explains all the content on the poster.

Yet they wanted to return it because it was "the wrong size" (their words in the return request) and eBay ruled in their favour.

I contacted eBay for a live chat and they said there's nothing they can do.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The buyer always wins.

My case is:

I sell stamps albums on CD. so the buyer can print out the pages and mount their stamps. Buyer purchased and paid immediately by PayPal. I posted next day. Then they cancelled saying they thought stamps were included. Myy listing stated

NO STAMPS INCLUDED in big red letters 3 times in the description. Printed pages with stamps are shown in the pictures but their is a sentence stating that the pictures shown what the album will look like after you print the page and mount stamps.

I got a defect.

Have amended listing so the first line of the description says NO STAMPS INCLUDED. I have also added an Item Specific.

Perhaps EBay will put a check box at the end of the listing to confirm you have read the description -- Bet they dont!!

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

It has been a rule for some time now that you can only show what is for sale in the photo so as a picture has equal weight as the written description you should not show the stamps if they are not included.

Your's / mine return policies mean nothing when it comes to returns and Ebay.

That is so for not as described but for change of mind or a dispute found in the seller's favour your stated returns policy applies. Mine clearly says refund of item cost only. If your listing had a 30 day return policy without anything else then the buyer can expect a full refund if they return within 30 days.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply