What would you do?

Hi all,

I am posting under this account because I don't want to "out" my buyer.

Here's my issue.

I sold an item recently which was a pair of bulky sculptures. Each weighs 1.9kg and measure approximately 45cm high (each).

Due to their dimensions, I clearly stated in my listing that I preferred pick up, however I would post if the buyer wanted me to. I mentioned that due to the statue weight and dimensions, postage could cost up to $50 depending on the buyers location, and to contact me before they bid with their postcode so I could give them an exact price. I explained that I would only charge the exact rate, no packaging or handling fee. I also said, if a buyer didn't contact me prior to bidding, they are accepting the postage price I will add to their invoice once I have their postcode after the sale.

Ok, so, the item sold. I'm in NSW. They are in QLD. I packaged up the items, taking extra care because they are fragile. I put them in the smallest box I could (trying to keep costs down). The Australia Post quote I got was for $42.45 from NSW to QLD as the box is 43x24x39 and weighs 4.5kg. I even tried getting cheaper from several courier companies so I could give my buyer a choice, but they were all practically the same or even more.

I added the $42.45 postage onto the invoice for the buyer. She responded today, outraged, at the postage cost. She told me I must have got my prices wrong as they could go into a 5kg satchel. She also told me if I don't get the postage down, "she'll cancel the sale and tell eBay why". So I replied.

They can't go into a satchel. Firstly, they won't fit (weight and measurement of the sculptures are on the listing) and secondly, they are breakable. They must go in a box. I pointed out my terms in the listing regarding postage, and she didn't contact me prior and that I can't change the price. It is what it is.

So, that's the situation. My question is. Should I agree to cancel the sale, or should I tell her to pay or face a non payment dispute so she "learns a lesson" here to read the listing. She's got 1000 FB so she isn't silly so I'm highly frustrated.

I am not making one extra cent on postage, and I knew shipping them would be expensive which is why I said as such, so I'm frustrated that this buyer, who knows her way around eBay, is playing stupid and wasting my time.

Do I agree to cancel? Your thoughts?

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: What would you do?

Maybe ebay should require people to pass a basic intelligence test before they're permitted to bid :^O

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

Thanks for all your advice.

Putney, thank you for your concern but I am confident in how I am going to send the items. If they were to break however, I would most certainly refund the buyer.

Shypansy, thank you for taking the time to try and work out a cheaper rate, however due to postcodes I can't possibly get it cheaper. I've tried every which way and it just does drop the price. They also won't fit into a 5kg satchel because of the dimensions of the actual sculpture. They are wide and awkward. Trust me, I tried it. I also wouldn't send them separately. If one got lost, or broke, the pair wouldn't be .. well .. a pair. That would be like shipping 4 wheels separately and one getting lost in the mail. Three wouldn't do the buyer much good lol.

Digital Ghost, calculated postage is a great idea. Thank you. I will definitely use that in the future.

Also, I know the buyer can't cancel the sale even though she claimed she would. I know I would have to initiate that. I guess I was just looking for opinions if I should actually agree to cancel it, or let it go to a dispute if she refused to pay because of the postage. It doesn't matter now though. She paid, and I feel absolutely terrible about it. Even though my listing clearly stated all the information she needed, I still feel rotten she's got to pay over $40 for shipping and I know she isn't impressed about it either. I most probably will not get good feedback and/or stars for this transaction which is extremely unfair in my opinion but hey, what do you do? We'll see how it pans out.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

You feel bad about charging your buyer the correct amount for postage although your buyer has caused this awkward situation by not enquiring about the cost during the auction - that's a new one. Why do you feel bad when you've done nothing wrong ? If it was me I'd feel good knowing that I had packed the sculptures as well as possible so the main thing you need to be concerned about is whether or not they will survive in a small box.

TCT
Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

I would ignore the buyer, open an unpaid item dispute after 4 days and then the only way they can avoid a strike and leave you a neg is to pay up in full. If they do that then I would wear it with pride and a well worded follow up. Of course if they don't pay you close the dispute after 4 days and then feedback is no longer on the table.

If they won't fit in a B4 box or your box won't fit in a 5kg satchel it is unfortunate but you have done exactly the right thing.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 31
Latest reply

take photos of every step of the process. How you pack them, packaging materials, how they look in the box once packed etc, get photos from every angle in case they say they were damaged etc and keep lodgement receipts with a post code and tracking numbers.

Not sure if the photos will ever be any help, but if they claim broken on receipt or SNAD at least you may have something to fall back on.

I'm guessing buyer is going to be a little bit miffed.

But OP, as far as I can see, you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to feel bad about. It seems to me that you have really gone the extra mile to please this buyer, But just make sure to protect yourself in every way possible now.

Chances are, they obviously really want the item, so lets hope the thrill of receiving it leaves them in a good mood, eh?

Best of luck.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 15 of 31
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Curious to know if there would be much difference to the postage quote if the goods were packed in the box as mentioned but then that box put inside a large outer tough bag/sack.

I thought Australia Post didn't 'cube' odd shaped items. As in lacking even sides or a bit lumpy bumpy etc

Message 16 of 31
Latest reply

Aus Post have technically cubed all parcels over 500g however until may most POs didn't bother and in the main they got delivered without any extra charge however they now cube all non flat rate parcels however irregular in shape they are.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

So they routinely cube cylinders and funny shaped parcels? How do they cube big soft teddy bears in soft packaging? I am pleased my little local PO is much more sensible.

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply

everything you've ever wanted to know about cubing

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/Helpful-guide-to-cubing-Apr13.pdf

Message 19 of 31
Latest reply

ref phorum junkies comment:

"Aus Post have technically cubed all parcels over 500g however until may most POs didn't bother and in the main they got delivered without any extra charge however they now cube all non flat rate parcels however irregular in shape they are."

I firstly ask- what do you mean by 'technically' please?

.....I have seen similar comments in these discussion forums lately suggesting that Oz Post 'cube' their satchels......and was puzzled so, I asked my local Australia Post folk late last week:

"Does Australia Post CUBE their satchels?"

Answer: "No!....How can we the satchels are freeform....the satchels are not a box, they are a satchel and therefore cannot be cubed"

Final question to p junkie: Which Aus Post reference do you have to confirm your (mis) information please?

Message 20 of 31
Latest reply