What would you do?

Hi all,

I am posting under this account because I don't want to "out" my buyer.

Here's my issue.

I sold an item recently which was a pair of bulky sculptures. Each weighs 1.9kg and measure approximately 45cm high (each).

Due to their dimensions, I clearly stated in my listing that I preferred pick up, however I would post if the buyer wanted me to. I mentioned that due to the statue weight and dimensions, postage could cost up to $50 depending on the buyers location, and to contact me before they bid with their postcode so I could give them an exact price. I explained that I would only charge the exact rate, no packaging or handling fee. I also said, if a buyer didn't contact me prior to bidding, they are accepting the postage price I will add to their invoice once I have their postcode after the sale.

Ok, so, the item sold. I'm in NSW. They are in QLD. I packaged up the items, taking extra care because they are fragile. I put them in the smallest box I could (trying to keep costs down). The Australia Post quote I got was for $42.45 from NSW to QLD as the box is 43x24x39 and weighs 4.5kg. I even tried getting cheaper from several courier companies so I could give my buyer a choice, but they were all practically the same or even more.

I added the $42.45 postage onto the invoice for the buyer. She responded today, outraged, at the postage cost. She told me I must have got my prices wrong as they could go into a 5kg satchel. She also told me if I don't get the postage down, "she'll cancel the sale and tell eBay why". So I replied.

They can't go into a satchel. Firstly, they won't fit (weight and measurement of the sculptures are on the listing) and secondly, they are breakable. They must go in a box. I pointed out my terms in the listing regarding postage, and she didn't contact me prior and that I can't change the price. It is what it is.

So, that's the situation. My question is. Should I agree to cancel the sale, or should I tell her to pay or face a non payment dispute so she "learns a lesson" here to read the listing. She's got 1000 FB so she isn't silly so I'm highly frustrated.

I am not making one extra cent on postage, and I knew shipping them would be expensive which is why I said as such, so I'm frustrated that this buyer, who knows her way around eBay, is playing stupid and wasting my time.

Do I agree to cancel? Your thoughts?

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

What would you do?

A little late now, but for future reference I would recommend using calculated postage if you are prepared to post bulky items, as that will automatically calculate the postage to a buyer based on their postcode when they view the listing, and making it far less likely they'll argue the cost after the fact. 

That being said, it is impossible for the buyer to "cancel the sale", as you probably know. Judging from your description of the items and so forth, the charge is fully justified and since the buyer failed to comply with your terms (contact for quote), I would open the UPI if they do not pay the invoice. One reason being that if it closes without payment, they will be unable to leave feedback (or it will be removed if they have left a neut or neg in the interim).

The only exception to that opinion / course of action would be if the listing was set up with any kind of postage cost quoted. I am presuming that it was listed as pick-up only in the postage section, with no P&H charges quoted (including 'free') and the instructions to contact if an interested buyer wanted them posted, if that is not the case that my opinion on what to do would err in favour of the buyer.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

It doesn`t sound like she is going to budge regarding paying the postage,  so to resolve it as peacefully as possible I would send a message, simply saying you have investigated all other avenues trying to get the parcel to her cheaply, yet safely with no luck,  and although you understand her disappointment it may be best to mutually cancel the sale, and ask if she will agree, if she won`t then open the dispute. 

You will however will be eligible to receive feedback,

Alternatively, just go with the dispute and be done with it.

May I also suggest, as a seller do you use click & send?  what if the items were sent in two separate parcels?  would one boxed fit into a 3kg satchel?  or even a B2 Aus post box?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

Scrap that, by your measurements, one may or may not fit a 3k satchel but would easily in a 5kg safely boxed,  and a B2 is too small, but a B4 might work.  So sending two smaller parcels would be a little cheaper than both together.

Another way is box them and purchase one of the largest size Auspost bags, the post office doesn`t cube them, its by weight only, and it is much cheaper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

I love a challenge,  I just entered the dimensions into the calculator, Sydney to Brisbane eg box 45 x 39 x 25 weighing 4.5 and it automatically comes up as Express says $52, BUT click on REGULAR post at the top, and it is only $21  😄  it may differ a little depending on the postcodes, but still less than half.

Go to your post office and get an exact price, and still consider the bag I suggested to avoid the cubing issue.

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

shypansy, the seller may not be in Sydney, they might be in regional NSW.

Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

if they are that big, and FRAGILE, fiting them into the SMALLEST POSSIBLE box is mistake #1

you say they are 45cm high but have a box with NO dimension near 45cm??????? something that lareg and fragile needs double boxing in my opinion, and loads of bubble wrap and foam peanuts,  squashing them into a box to ''fit'' is only going to guarantee smashed on delivery

I my opinion

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

Not to mention the buyer could be in far north QLD. I just put in the measurements from 2800 to 4800 and got $43.35.

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

As the item was a pickup only,if the buyer were to leave you a neg,you would have good grounds for ebay to remove it.

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

What would you do?

quote:  ' As the item was a pickup only,if the buyer were to leave you a neg,you would have good grounds for ebay to remove it'. end quote

--------

Good to hear, for the seller's sake

Maybe ebay should require people to pass a basic intelligence test before they're permitted to bid 

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply