What would you do?

Hi all,

I am posting under this account because I don't want to "out" my buyer.

Here's my issue.

I sold an item recently which was a pair of bulky sculptures. Each weighs 1.9kg and measure approximately 45cm high (each).

Due to their dimensions, I clearly stated in my listing that I preferred pick up, however I would post if the buyer wanted me to. I mentioned that due to the statue weight and dimensions, postage could cost up to $50 depending on the buyers location, and to contact me before they bid with their postcode so I could give them an exact price. I explained that I would only charge the exact rate, no packaging or handling fee. I also said, if a buyer didn't contact me prior to bidding, they are accepting the postage price I will add to their invoice once I have their postcode after the sale.

Ok, so, the item sold. I'm in NSW. They are in QLD. I packaged up the items, taking extra care because they are fragile. I put them in the smallest box I could (trying to keep costs down). The Australia Post quote I got was for $42.45 from NSW to QLD as the box is 43x24x39 and weighs 4.5kg. I even tried getting cheaper from several courier companies so I could give my buyer a choice, but they were all practically the same or even more.

I added the $42.45 postage onto the invoice for the buyer. She responded today, outraged, at the postage cost. She told me I must have got my prices wrong as they could go into a 5kg satchel. She also told me if I don't get the postage down, "she'll cancel the sale and tell eBay why". So I replied.

They can't go into a satchel. Firstly, they won't fit (weight and measurement of the sculptures are on the listing) and secondly, they are breakable. They must go in a box. I pointed out my terms in the listing regarding postage, and she didn't contact me prior and that I can't change the price. It is what it is.

So, that's the situation. My question is. Should I agree to cancel the sale, or should I tell her to pay or face a non payment dispute so she "learns a lesson" here to read the listing. She's got 1000 FB so she isn't silly so I'm highly frustrated.

I am not making one extra cent on postage, and I knew shipping them would be expensive which is why I said as such, so I'm frustrated that this buyer, who knows her way around eBay, is playing stupid and wasting my time.

Do I agree to cancel? Your thoughts?

Don't blame me. I didn't vote him in ...
Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: What would you do?

Of course flat rate, pre paid packaging isn't cubed and nowhere did I say it would be.

To cube an irregular shaped parcel they measure the widest point of each side, not exactly rocket science!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 31 of 31
Latest reply