Where can I go to find items to sell on ebay?

Hi there,

Where and how do individuals find things to sell on ebay? I want to buy items in bulk and then sell those items individually through ebay, how do I do this? Do sellers contact and buy from a distributer? Can someone please point me in the right direction where I can find things to buy in bulk?

kind regards

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

You'll be wanting to understand your obligations as a seller re Managed payments and in general AND and the tax implications/obligations of selling that way before you worry about where other sellers get their items from

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

so much depends on what you want to sell.

Wholesalers

Junk yards

Garage sales

real shops

Make it yourself

empty out your house

You need to decide what you want to sell, and research from there.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

@niko_zheng wrote:

Hi there,

Where and how do individuals find things to sell on ebay? I want to buy items in bulk and then sell those items individually through ebay, how do I do this? Do sellers contact and buy from a distributer? Can someone please point me in the right direction where I can find things to buy in bulk?

kind regards

you do realise that what you are asking members to do is tell you their suppliers?

Let’s say I was successfully selling ‘thing-a-me-jigs’ and ‘what’s-a-whoozits’ sourced from a reliable supplier.  If I tell you who my supplier is, and you approach that supplier for product, it is likely that you will fall across the same items that I sell.

Then, you realise that I am very successful with my listings, so you buy in bulk the same items I sell.  By buying in bulk you get a discounted price from the supplier (MY supplier).

You work out the numbers and realise that I am selling at quite a mark-up on the suppliers price.  So, you undercut me on asking price.

I live in North-West Vic.  Postage can be slow from here to the major Capital cities.  If you live in a major Capital you might have a more reliable, and faster, shipping option at the same rates that I charge.

Can you see where I’m going with this?

You would be asking me for information that I have worked hard for for over 10 years just so you might become a competitor for the same products I am currently selling.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Having said that, I will let you know my supplier for things that I have successfully sold over the years.

It is eBay.

Yep, I have been successful at various times through buying things on eBay that I then on-sell on eBay.  Some call this “flipping”.

**some examples from my experiences in spoiler 👇 **

Spoiler

First success was automatic MZ50 Pentax cameras and lenses.

I was buying cameras for the school I was at. Once I had bought enough for my school I realised I could make some money by continuing to buy cameras with lenses, then sell the lenses separately.  I would typically buy cameras with two lenses and a camera bag for around $70 total.  I would then sell each lens separately for around $70 and $150.  This funded further purchases.

I made enough money to start buying darkroom equipment.  I would target ‘pick-up only’ listings where sellers were selling all their stuff in one listing in an auction starting at 99c.  This meant a lot of people couldn’t bid because they could not pick-up, leading to low prices.  I would target listings that were in Sydney and Melbourne as I would visit these often, and could easily pick-up.

I would clean the equipment and sell one or two of the items in individual listings with postage.  One listing I bought had plenty of gear.  I cleaned up the enlarger timer and sold it for more than all the gear cost me.  Then I donated some of the remaining gear to my school photography department, and sold some of the rest.

I did this for quite a few years.  It didn’t cost me anything, and I was teaching in what was probably the best resourced darkroom in NSW schools.

Second success was Pentax K1000 film cameras bought from USA.

I realised that there were only a few K1000 film cameras listed in Australia.  Auction prices were quite high.  But, in the USA, there were usually 200 to 300 listings for K1000 cameras, so auction prices were lower.  The killer was the shipping.  I reduced my shipping costs by having cameras sent to an eBay seller in the USA.  A lot of US sellers were shipping domestically for free, so that helped a lot.

My contact would wait until he had 5 or 6 cameras then ship them to me in a large box.  This greatly reduced my shipping costs, and I would pay him more than it cost to ship to make it worthwhile for him to act as my USA shipping agent.

In about 2012, our A$ was at about US$1.10 for a while.  I could buy cameras for dirt cheap.

Over about 4 years I bought well over a hundred K1000 cameras with lenses.  These are 30-40yr old cameras, so I would clean them up before selling.  Initially, a camera that cost me $70 would sell for $200.  I had to stop selling because I was so successful while still teaching.  When I retired I started selling many of the cameras I had here, and they would sell for over $400 as demand had increased (especially during the pandemic).

Third success was Refurbished K1000 cameras.

One of the K1000 cameras I had bought had had the black leatherette replaced with red leatherette.  This type of refurbishment was rare on eBay.

I found a seller on eBay that was selling the leatherette in A4 sheets.  I bought red, blue and green sheets and started re-covering some of the cameras I have here.  It worked out at about $5 per camera for the materials, but I could sell these re-covered cameras for $100 more than the original cameras.

I found a seller in the UK that sold thin leather sheets in a vibrant red, and yellow.  Camera re-covered in this material sold at a premium.

Fourth success was Zimbabwe $100 trillion dollar banknotes.

When I first started on eBay I was buying 5 Zim$ for $8.  These were novelty buys.  When I sold a camera lens for a higher than expected price I would include a Zim$ with the lens.

These were the days when you got a seller’s phone number when buying.  I contacted the seller and bought Zim$ in bulk.  They were so cheap that I would give them away to family and friends.

I started selling the Zim$ for double what I was paying.  I did this to increase my seller feedback.  They would sell for $3 to $4.  A nice little enterprise, though not very profitable.

My last bulk buy of Zim$ from my supplier was for 75 notes for $255.

I lost interest in selling them once I had a good amount of seller feedback.  Then, one day, I saw that they were selling for $10 each ... so I sold some more.  Then, a few years later, they were selling for $50 to $60 each ... so I some more.  NOW, they regularly sell for over $250 per note.

Fifth success was Film camera light seal kits.

I had bought a couple of camera light seal kits from sellers on eBay as I had some cameras that needed new seals.

I quickly realised that I could buy sheets of the seal material and cut the thin strips myself.  I then started putting together my own kits for sale.  I would usually sell for four times my outlay.  Profitable, but hard work putting the kits together.

niko, I hope you have bothered to read the whole of the information in the spoiler.  I know it is a lot to read, but that makes my point ... selling and being successful can be hard work.  You need to find a niche, be flexible, and know when to move on to another product.

It doesn’t just drop into your lap.  If you haven’t read the whole of what I wrote in the spoiler, then you haven’t got what it takes to be a successful seller on eBay.  Think of my spoiler as a small test of your commitment.

Good luck

Cheers

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

@niko_zheng wrote:

Hi there,

kind regards

China. You need to travel to China. Then you can buy cheap garbage and sell it at a profit here, because for some reason, Aussies love cheap Chinese garbage.

Not telling you what I sell, or where I get it. I doubt many would.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I gloated to my Zimbabwean colleague about being rich because I had a trillion dollar note, plus millions and billions. She laughed at me and said the trillion was worth roughly 50 Aussie cents!

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Its kinda funny you mention this method as it would be the holy grail of selling and is where you make decent money. Unfortunately you need deep pockets and warehousing space to do this method. 

I feel you meant it as a joke which is the funny part but it is how you make a business and not a job which is what many ebay sellers do. Anyone who thinks their ebay business is a business try selling it as a business. 

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Most distributors will be similar in profit margins and ones that sell to anyone will have so much competition you will need to move a lot of items to make money on the small margins you get.

Many sellers resell used items from garage sales or op shops but finding enough quality items to sell can be hard in some areas.

I prefer to sell new items as I find it easier than used. I have enough warehouse space to handle bulk purchases when needed as this is where you make money. The downside is it does not come up for sale very often so not suited to those starting out unless you have some money to invest.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

There are several online wholesalers who have thousands of products available for purchase in quantity.  I looked at several products I know well and did some reseach with a mind to reselling.

A search of the items I was interested in revealed hundreds of  different resellers already offering the identical items. After doing the sums I found the margins so thin I'd need to sell hundreds to make a return.

I'm of the view, success, the answer your looking for, can be arrived at  but in such a crowded space it would be unwise to reveal the how of it.

Tom 

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

I had a mate who imported container loads of cheap Chinese junk.

He wasn't mug enough to sell online. Local markets, no warranty, no MBG, cash on the knocker and no recourse.

He did okay. Enough to make it worth his while to do it for many years.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply